Those desiring a war's consequences should enlist

I believe the organizers of last Wednesday's vigil were right to sound a note of restraint and to refrain from patriotic displays. It may be that war is the best response; however, the kind of war we are contemplating is no cause for glorying and should only be entered after much agonized, careful thought--not the revenge-mad rhetoric coming out of Washington.

This war, if it happens, will be unlike any we've fought before. Against a shadow enemy, conventional tactics will break down, and American soldiers will die, as will civilians, especially if we use local paramilitary groups to assist our cause. Meanwhile, America will approach a police state, as well-meaning authorities implement ever more drastic security measures designed to thwart our clever and devious terrorist enemy.

Sometimes war is necessary. This may be one of those times. But if you're actually eager to go get the expletives--if you think calls for restraint are politically correct and unpatriotic--I have a suggestion for you: Call Durham's Army recruiter, enlist and tell them you want to be first off the plane in Afghanistan. Do that, and I'll applaud your courage. But until then, think of the consequences before you drape yourself in a flag and beg for more bloodshed.

Margaret Harris

Trinity '03

Share and discuss “Those desiring a war's consequences should enlist” on social media.