GPSC discusses social programming

b

True to its goal of creating a better social environment for its constituents, the Graduate and Professional Student Council placed social issues at the top of its agenda at its first meeting of the year last night.

The group discussed social venues and events that it thought would most interest graduate and professional school students. Possible use of the space that the Hideaway formerly occupied, which administrators offered GPSC priority in scheduling, generated conversation. Although the relatively low cost of the space and its location near the Bryan Center pleased some, most people argued against using the space.

"As undergraduates, we went [to the Hideaway] for two reasons: First, it had a convenient location, and second, because we could drink underage. Otherwise, it was a dump," said third-year medical student Michael Bernstein. "Now most of us live off-campus and all of us are of age, so I think our money could be better spent at a legitimate establishment."

GPSC President Elayne Heisler, a second-year sociology student, said she would evaluate the condition of the vacated space and report her impressions to the group before it makes its decision at its next meeting.

The group elected law student Tyler Gelbasch and graduate student Tobin Freid to lead these initiatives as the co-chairs of the student life committee.

"I'm running for this position because in the past few years I have often thought to myself, OI really wish this would happen or that would happen,'" Freid said in her candidacy speech. "I would like this position so I could make those things happen."

In order to plan social events, the student life committee is entrusted with more money than any other GPSC committee.

GPSC as a whole also has funds that it can give at its discretion to other graduate departments and groups to further fund gatherings and interactions.

"There is lots of money available to groups and I want to give it all away this year," GPSC treasurer Shannon Lemrow said. "I think it is important to get people together in social situations, and that is what I think [the money] should be used for."

GPSC members seemed pleased with the year's first meeting, and expressed optimism for the coming year.

"I am really looking forward to a great year," GPSC attorney general Carol Chancey said. "I think we are going to have a slightly different focus than we have had in previous years, and I think we are going to get a lot accomplished."

Share and discuss “GPSC discusses social programming” on social media.