Students brace for new policy

On the eve of the semester's first weekend, Student Affairs administrators are preparing to implement revisions of the University's alcohol policy, including major changes to some undergraduate judicial policies.

"We have revised the alcohol policy to focus on individual responsibility and group accountability for behaviors that promote a respectful and safe community, while at the same time acknowledging the legal drinking age," Larry Moneta, the University's new vice president for student affairs, wrote in a letter to be sent to student leaders today.

Most of the changes are an application of recommendations made last spring by the Alcohol Task Force, including more supervision of campus social events by both student monitors and an outside company. Moneta said a contract will be signed soon for specialists who will enforce commons room, hallway and stairwell capacities.

He also confirmed that the University will begin notifying parents of alcohol abuses when their child's health is at risk. The policy had been in limbo because of federal regulations, set to take effect in 2003, that protect the privacy of health information.

"[The regulations] are very much a consideration, but we've got some time to think about them and try how it works," Moneta said.

The most significant change, however, is a near re-writing of alcohol policy regulations. Although the policy still expresses safety as its top priority, it focuses far less on regulations than previously.

"I don't want to spend my time on just policy. I want to focus on positive experiences," Moneta said.

Rather than setting penalties for each specific violation, the alcohol policy now divides restricted behaviors into three less specific categories: underage possession, unsafe or irresponsible behavior and community standards violations.

Beginning this fall, all violations will be referred directly to Kacie Wallace, associate dean of student development; Stephen Bryan, assistant dean of student development; and Jeff Kulley, the University's new alcohol specialist.

"Stephen Bryan and I are going to work with Jeff Kulley and look at all the documentation and think about the appropriate response for the violation," Wallace said.

"Does it warrant education, assessment and treatment, restitution, or does it warrant judicial follow-up?" She added that they will employ a variety of criteria--ranging from past offenses to the circumstances of the violation--in determining their response.

The changes may be felt most strongly by resident advisers, often the ones responsible for monitoring student behavior. They will now be required to help students whose health may be at risk.

In addition, their role in enforcement will not be to "write up" students, but to "observe, comment and document" their behavior to the Office of Student Development.

"I think the perception in the past was that RAs were writing up incidents with the intention that they will be followed up judicially," Wallace said. "This year our intention was to document the behavior, talk to the student and then we'll decide--with someone who's knowledgeable with alcohol affairs--what the appropriate action will be."

RAs offered mixed responses to the changes, with some reacting positively and others not even noticing a change.

"I haven't really noticed a difference in training from the previous year," said Bryan Langlands, a Divinity School student and second-year RA in House P. "It seems to me to be a change of terminology."

John Swingle, a sophomore and first-time RA in Bassett Dormitory, saw the possibility for better relationships between RAs and residents. "I think it's probably a good idea. This will help students to see you more as a friend than an enemy," he said.

That may be difficult if RAs feel pressure to document, said C.J. Walsh, president of Duke Student Government. "It's certainly an attitude change for the University," he said. "Personally I've always had a very positive interaction with my RA, and would not like to see that experience diminished by increased RA policing."

Share and discuss “Students brace for new policy” on social media.