Duke finds no proof of crime

The University said July 11 that there is no evidence to support a sophomore's allegation this spring that someone had committed a hate crime against him, an incident that prompted outcry among several Asian-American student leaders. David Lin claimed that the weekend of March 30, someone vandalized his room, stole about $100 cash and left a note bearing a racial epithet. He also said the University and the Duke University Police Department mishandled the case.

John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs and government relations, declined to comment on the specifics of the investigation, conducted in part by Judicial Affairs, DUPD and the State Bureau of Investigation. But in a letter to a concerned Asian Student Association leader, Burness said Duke had appropriately handled the investigation and sent the results to Lin.

"After a thorough investigation by Duke Police, we can find no evidence that a hate crime was committed in this case," Burness wrote. "Nor is there evidence to substantiate a claim that Lt. [Sara-Jane] Raines acted in any manner but professionally and appropriately throughout her thorough investigation of the case."

The student, who Burness said has not contacted the Duke administration since May, could not be reached for comment. In late April, he approached The Chronicle and described a series of events that began with a March 30 Chemistry 12 test. He said he took the test but that someone removed it from the pile and placed his name at the top of another test.

Lin said he then took a one-day trip to Washington, D.C., and upon his return the next day, found his Aycock Dormitory room locked as he had left it. After entering the room, he said he found his closet door open with the light on, his belongings strewn across the floor and his class picture book open to his name, which had been crossed out. A racial slur was written next to his name. He also said he received two harassing e-mails that had been sent after the test.

"At an institution of this academic caliber, before coming, I felt this would be the least of my worries," Lin said at the time.

Professor of Chemistry James Bonk said he immediately sent the case to Judicial Affairs but he, Burness and Associate Dean for Judicial Affairs Kacie Wallace declined to comment further.

Burness described Duke's efforts to meet with the student and his parents after the incident.

"I think you should know of the exceptional lengths many people at Duke went to try to provide support for [him] after he reported the alleged incidents," Burness wrote in his letter, adding that the University had hired a translator to speak with his parents and flown them in from California.

Upon their arrival, though, Lin's parents declined to meet with administrators.

Vice President for Institutional Equity Sally Dickson said she met with Lin several times and that she was particularly concerned about how the incident had affected Asian-American students.

"Those kinds of ugly statements made through e-mail, they always have to be looked into thoroughly," Dickson said. "If it had been true, that would be a problem. I can't say I was surprised or not surprised by [the results]. I am glad that in fact we don't have information that supports there is a hostile climate."

Former ASA President Patricia Chen, Trinity '01, who voiced concerns about the Lin case, could not be reached for comment.

Share and discuss “Duke finds no proof of crime” on social media.