Race splits Durham school board

Two weeks ago, the Durham Public School Board approved an $8,100 bonus and one-year contract extension for Superintendent Ann Denlinger. The decision was far from unanimous and bitterly split along racial lines.

But that racial division is nothing new. The school board appointed Denlinger in 1997--in another racially split vote--over James Williams of Dayton, Ohio, who was endorsed by many black community members.

"There are certain members of the African-American community who were vehemently opposed to her since she came, and I don't think they gave her a fair chance," said Phillis Scott, a school board member.

But black community members have argued that Denlinger has not been responsive to their opinions, especially during discussions about how to respond to recent accusations that Hillside High School Principal Richard Hicks tampered with a student's grades.

In early February, Denlinger decided to allow Hicks to return to Hillside for the rest of the school year. However, she not yet formally announced Hicks' replacement.

Black board members said that the Hillside incident accentuated the disrespect they felt from Denlinger and some of the white board members.

"I think the root cause [of the school board's problems] is the lack of really listening to each others opinions and really putting forward an attempt to understand the opinion of each board member," said Mozell Robinson, a board member. "The African-American members are excluded from prior conversations so issues appear as done deals when we get to the meeting."

Arguing that the Hillside discussions were exclusionary, that the job assessment was not objective and that the budget was extremely tight, the two black board members at the meeting voted against Denlinger's bonus and contract extension.

As far as race relations on the board are concerned, Denlinger's forthcoming Hillside decision and the issue of her bonus could not have come at a worse time, said Kathryn Meyers, chair of the school board. "It's unfortunate that the timing of the evaluation of the superintendent coincides with some sensitive personnel issues," she said.

Present at almost every school board meeting since before Denlinger was made superintendent, Lavonia Allison, chair of the Durham Committee for the Affairs of Black People, recently prompted the school board to take the official step of prohibiting personal verbal attacks from public comment.

During a board meeting earlier this month, Allison verbally attacked Scott; following the meeting, she allegedly physically attacked the school board member.

"That was at the result of the comments that were made at that meeting which created a situation which led to a physical confrontation," Meyers said. "[The ban on personal attacks] is an effort not to stifle public comment but to make it civil."

Noting that Allison's message was honest and extremely valuable, Robinson said that Allison should reconsider her presentation. "We have a critical need to show each other respect," she said. "What needs to happen is some evidence of a plan to address these issues, that will give a message that we are all being heard, not just Dr. Allison." Allison could not be reached for comment.

Some members now feel the racial discord is overflowing into other areas of school board business. "From deciding on a meeting date to a decision to sell school property, there tends to be a real sense of disagreeability on everybody's part," Meyers said.

Robinson and city council member Floyd McKissick suggested that although public meeting laws would make it almost impossible, mediation or multicultural training could be helpful.

"I've been disappointed that there has not been a greater spirit of cooperation and most importantly, that the school board has not realized that by its action they are contributing to an image in this community," McKissick said.

Share and discuss “Race splits Durham school board” on social media.