Hannemann wins individual title

HOWEY-IN-THE-HILLS, Fla. -- Down by one stroke in the individual competition when she came to the 17th hole, and needing desperately to at least birdie the hole to give her team any shot at the national championship, Candy Hannemann made a dangerous decision.

After bouncing her tee-shot off a tree, she found herself about 150-yards from the hole of the Mission Inn El Campeon Course's signature green, Devil's Delight. It was quite a predicament for Hannemann--she could go right for the hole, over the water hazard, and possibly putt for eagle, or lay up and be almost assured of placing her ball on the green.

Arizona freshman Lorena Ochoa, the No. 1 golfer in the country and the one person ahead of Hannemann for the women's NCAA championship individual title, had tried a similar shot earlier in the week, but, like many others, ended with her ball making a splashing sound as it hit the water.

But after consulting coach Dan Brooks for a few minutes, Hannemann decided that going for the green in two would be the correct move.

Hannemann stepped up, took a few practice swings and crushed the ball straight between the trees, over the water and onto the green, leaving her with an eagle putt of about 40-feet out.

Although she missed it and had to two-putt the hole, the bold call that resulted in a birdie on 17 and eventually a final-day score of 69 also placed her in a playoff with Ochoa for individual honors.

"At first I wanted to know how I was doing because I usually check the scoreboard," Hannemann said. "Then coach [Brooks] asked me if I wanted to know on 17. I didn't care about the individual race, [I cared about the team]."

Once the playoff began that night at 7 p.m., Hannemann finished right where she left off, sinking a six-foot putt for par to beat Ochoa and claim individual medalist honors. The freshman Wildcat misread the greens after a long rain delay and sent a 25-foot putt long, leaving her 10-feet from the pin. Hannemann hit her six-footer to win the tournament--a victory that also netted her the Honda Award for best women's golfer in the country later in the week.

The win was the second of the year for Hannemann, who went into the tournament ranked No. 2 in the country. She had also finished in a tie for first at the Wildcat Invitational, only to lose a one-hole playoff to Ochoa when the freshman hit a birdie putt over Hannemann's par.

"This is so exciting," Hannemann said after her NCAA victory. "I cannot express how good this title feels."

After a disappointing first-round 75, Hannemann recovered to shoot an even-par 72 on the second day. A 69 on the third day got Hannemann even for the tournament and placed her four strokes behind the leader, Louisiana State's Katy Harris, and tied with Ochoa. However, Harris' 3-over 75 on the day put her out of contention leaving Hannemann and Ochoa--both of whom shot a final-round 69--to slug it out in a playoff.

Now, however, its back to golf, as the Rio de Janeiro native plays in the U.S. Women's Open for the second time at the Pine Needles Golf Club in Pinehurst, where she joins teammate Leigh Anne Hardin, who also qualified for golf's largest prize. In her first attempt Hannemann missed the cut, but she hopes she can carry her momentum from her national title into the tournament.

"I couldn't be happier for Candy," Brooks said. "She led by example and has worked so hard this year. She deserves the title."

Share and discuss “Hannemann wins individual title” on social media.