Men's lacrosse loses to Pride

With a bid to the NCAA tournament hanging in the balance Saturday for two men's lacrosse teams, the ninth-ranked Blue Devils were unable to move off the tournament bubble as they dropped a disheartening 15-10 contest to underdog Hofstra in Hempstead, N.Y.

Duke (10-5) would have all but guaranteed itself a spot in the 12-team lacrosse championships, but 15th-ranked Hofstra (8-5) instead likely snatched a spot with its second impressive victory of the season. The home team Pride outplayed Duke in every facet of the game, avoiding even the slightest setback despite starting third-string goalie Jack Alaimo, who made four more saves than three-year Duke starter and All-ACC counterpart Matt Breslin.

"A win for us takes us off the bubble and solidifies our spot in the tournament, and everybody knew that," Duke coach Mike Pressler said. "It was so disappointing. There was a great crowd, it was on Fox Sports on live TV, and we just go up there and stink up the place."

The Blue Devils fell behind 8-4 in the first half, but even after playing a miserable game they still had opportunities with 10 minutes left in the game. Trailing 12-10, Duke had two near-goals to cut its deficit to one, but the second misfire ricocheted off the post and produced a fast-break for Hofstra's Tom Kessler. Kessler took the ball and raced into Duke's zone, where he made a diving unassisted goal for his fourth score of the game. Doug Shanahan, possibly the nation's best midfielder, added four goals and an assist for the triumphant Pride.

"It doesn't really make any sense. We were ready to go, but we did come out flat," said midfielder Scott Bross, who helped Duke win 16 of 29 face-offs Saturday. "I don't know what it was. We didn't have it all day. I can't really explain it."

Pressler said he still expects the ACC champion Blue Devils to receive one of the four at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.

Duke's coach compared his team to ACC rival Virginia, another bubble team that has fared 1-3 against ACC competition in contrast to Duke's 4-1 record.

Share and discuss “Men's lacrosse loses to Pride” on social media.