Golfers ready for NCAAs

Duke will enter next month's NCAA championships a clear favorite, having held the No. 1 national ranking most of the year and having won eight of the nine tournaments they competed in this season.

In the ACC tournament, Duke built a huge lead in the first two rounds but inexplicably faltered in the final to win by just three strokes. If the Blue Devils are to take home the title, they will have to play with more consistency and poise from the opening tee through the 18th green.

"We had an off day and that's an example of what might happen if you relax," said coach Dan Brooks. "We didn't quite get to the level of intensity probably due to our lead. It's easy to get complacent"

Last year in Sunriver, Ore., the Blue Devils entered the NCAA tournament in virtually the same spot. Led by All-American Beth Bauer, Duke failed to repeat its 1999 national title in a performance that was well below expectations and served as motivation this year.

With a year to think about that, the Blue Devils will head to Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla., where the Blue Devils feel very comfortable. They won the tournament on the course in November and should be used to the course's Bermuda greens, having played on the same putting surface last weekend.

Share and discuss “Golfers ready for NCAAs” on social media.