Duke looks for director to solve parking crunch

Locating a parking space on West Campus might be tough, but finding someone to direct the campus parking system may prove just as difficult.

At the recommendation of a consulting firm that advises Duke on transportation, a 10-member committee is in the middle of a search for a new director of University and Medical Center parking. The position would be new since the current director of transit and parking, Stephen Burrell, also oversees other operations like the campus post office and publications.

Search committee members hope that having a director who is devoted solely to parking will alleviate long-standing complaints. Parking allocation and fees, student and employee needs, ticketing and improving mass transportation are some of the issues that will confront the new director.

The committee began meeting in January and hopes to have someone in place by this summer, said Daniel Rodas, committee chair and assistant vice president for administration.

Rodas said the committee already offered the position to one candidate, who turned down the job because of conflicts relocating to Durham. Several candidates will be coming to the University over the next few weeks to tour the campus and meet with the search committee. All together, the committee has received about 25 applications.

"It's an extremely attractive and challenging opportunity because not only is Duke a world-class institution, but we're looking for someone who can lead our parking program and give it direction," Rodas said.

That may seem counterintuitive to community members who have had difficulty with the parking system. In addition, there is no occupational track that naturally leads to the position, as there is with many other administrative or faculty positions.

But Rodas said that the committee is specifically targeting experienced directors from other universities.

"We're looking for someone who can help us to implement the recommendations from the consultant's report, someone who can think creatively about campus parking in general," he said.

Sophomore Emily Grey, Duke Student Government vice president for facilities and athletics, said the consultant's suggestions-which are still in draft form-necessitate a full-time director.

"There never seemed to be someone on campus to address parking issues as they came up during the year, and if there were someone on campus to answer those questions that would be a lot more beneficial," Grey said.

She added that a new director might also increase student representation on committees that address parking. The current search committee includes three students, one professor and six administrators.

Share and discuss “Duke looks for director to solve parking crunch” on social media.