DSG reviews new voting record plan

Technology was the buzzword at last night's Duke Student Government meeting, as much of the discussion centered around the role of the Internet on campus.

The legislature passed a resolution presented by senior Jason Bergsman, vice president for academic affairs, and junior Abhijit Prabhu, DSG executive secretary, supporting the development of a campus-wide wireless Internet access network.

Mike Pickett, special assistant to the provost, gave a presentation about the proposed system, which would allow students with laptops to access the Internet via radio signal. Pickett said this would facilitate computer use on campus as well as eliminate problems caused by Internet cables.

The wireless Internet system has already been implemented in Perkins Library and the Bryan Center, but in order to take advantage of the radio signal, students have to purchase a $150 card for their laptops. Pickett also stressed that this proposal is not connected to a plan that would require each member of the class of 2006 to purchase their own laptops.

The legislature postponed until next week a separate vote on a resolution opposing the laptop requirement.

Following the technological theme of the evening, Treasurer Henry Ho, a junior, and Vice President for Student Affairs Jasmin French, a senior, presented a first reading of an amendment to the DSG by-laws that would post legislators' voting records on the organization's website. Ho and French argued that legislators must be held accountable for their votes, and this method would allow students to see how legislators voted on issues that may not have appeared in campaign platforms.

In more Internet news, DSG attorney general Jessica Budoff discussed today's DSG executive elections, which for the first time will be held online. She emphasized that scantron ballots will be ready for use in case problems arise. Additionally, Budoff stressed that candidates cannot campaign in dormitories while voting is going on, and she reminded legislators to tell seniors that they are allowed to vote in the elections.

Share and discuss “DSG reviews new voting record plan” on social media.