UNC's Moeser addresses council

In a promising display of cooperation betweenusual rivals, the Academic Council warmly welcomed new University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Chancellor James Moeser at its meeting Thursday. Stressing the positive impact of the two schools' historically close relationship, Moeser reaffirmed that connection and committed to its strengthening.

"It's very clear that these two universities, co-located as they are, are closely intertwined and our futures are inseparable," said Moeser.

He cited the long history of cooperation between his school and Duke, going back at least as far as 1934, when the respective libraries began sharing books. Since that time, the relationship has developed, Moeser said, to include interschool programs on a wide range of topics, including ethics, religion, national security, health and technology.

"Just as our competition on the basketball floor brings out our excellence, it also motivates students, faculty, alumni and fans. The same can be said of our rivalry in the academic world, which is actually more cooperative than competitive," Moeser said. "Together our sum is truly greater than our parts."

The new chancellor sees that sum growing in the future, sparked by the new Robertson Scholars program, created last June by a $24 million gift to the schools. The program will award scholarships to undergraduates who will study at both institutions.

"Consider what this marvelous interaction has done for North Carolina and indeed for the nation, in improving the economy, creating jobs and the general benefiting of the public welfare," Moeser said, adding that North Carolina ranks seventh among the states in funding from the National Institutes of Health.

Two-thirds of such funding goes to Duke or UNC-CH, and Moeser said the schools' close relationship gives the schools an advantage in competing for grants. "Having the depth of experience coupled with the willingness to work together is looked upon very favorably by grant organizations," he said.

President Nan Keohane made a similar visit to the faculty senate of UNC-CH in 1994 shortly after her own inauguration.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: Provost Peter Lange presented the Academic Council with an update on the University's long-range plan. After describing the Board of Trustees' largely enthusiastic reaction to his latest draft, Lange discussed several planned revisions.

Goal six of the plan, which calls for intensifying the use of information technology, will be expanded to include a requirement that by fall 2002 all undergraduates own a computer and that all freshmen own a laptop or a similar portable device.

Lange will also stress the development of wireless capabilities on campus and the creation of a certificate program and institute for studying the social and economic effects of information.

Although he gave few details, Lange also announced he would further develop goals for student affairs and for collaboration with other schools and states.

Share and discuss “UNC's Moeser addresses council” on social media.