Track team opens season by breaking 2 program records

As most of the student body enjoyed the opportunity to relax and recover from first semester, a large portion of the track team took the opportunity to open their 2001 campaign.

Last Saturday, the Blue Devils competed in the Father Diamond Invitational at George Mason.

"We use this meet every year to find out where our younger runners are," coach Norm Ogilvie said. "For the veterans, we give them the option of whether or not they want to compete."

All seven runners from the men's ACC champion cross country team ran over the weekend. But on the women's side, only a few of the top upperclassmen competed. The results were rather impressive, as two Duke athletes set school records in their respective events.

First, in the 1000-meter competition, Katie Atlas knocked five seconds off her personal best en route to setting a new school record by two seconds, running a 2:50.36. The junior took an early lead in the five-lap race, and went on to beat her nearest competition by five seconds.

"We were really impressed with her performance," Ogilvie said. "It's a great start to what should be a super season for Katie."

Kim Hanauer was the only athlete at the meet to win two events. She won the weight throw with a 46-foot 04.75 toss. Her best performance of the day came in the shot put, where she set a new school record with a throw of 40'07.75.

That mark broke the existing school record of 40'00 previously held by Megan Mitchell.

"Lynda Blutreich, who is our throwing coach, does a wonderful job with both the men and the women," women's head coach Jan Ogilvie said. "The work ethic she has demonstrated has really paid off. I think we will see Kim continue to improve."

Megan Sullivan also turned in a personal best. She won the 3000 meter race with a time of 9:52.62. That ranks as the second best time in school history, moving her ahead of Sheela Agrawal.

The absence of seven runners from the cross country team did not prevent the Duke men from turning in a solid performance. Junior Greg Wikelius turned in a personal best in the mile, finishing second with a 4:24.48 mile. And junior Jim Martin took second in the 3000 meters, running a career best of 8:42.39.

The meet also produced some impressive freshmen debuts as John Amt ran a 1:59.20 in the 800 to place third, and Casey Reardon ran a 2:32.85 in the 1000.

The track teams return to action Jan. 19-20, when they compete in the Virginia Tech Invitational in Blacksburg, Va.

Share and discuss “Track team opens season by breaking 2 program records” on social media.