Vinroot, Easley serve as study in contrasts

Political Party: Democrat

Political Experience: District Attorney, 13th district, '82-'93; Attorney General, '93-'00

Education: B.A. in political science, UNC-CH; J.D., North Carolina Central University

Mike Easley began his career in public service in 1982 when he served as district attorney for the 13th Judicial District, covering Brunswick, Bladen and Columbus Counties. During his eight-year term, he prosecuted numerous drug-trafficking cases and was named one of America's top "Drug Busters" by USA Today. Easley played a hand in the creation of the Fair Treatment of Victims Act and developed programs through his office for rape, sexual abuse and child abuse.

In 1993, Easley was elected state attorney general. He earned nationwide recognition for his efforts in the national tobacco settlement, which ended in a $206 billion agreement-including almost $5 billion for North Carolina.

As attorney general, Easley focused on protecting citizens from predatory lending practices and other consumer fraud. Easley's involvement in an advertisement campaign on these issues drew criticism, as some saw the ads as state-funded publicity for his governor's bid.

His campaign denies wrongdoing.

Easley hopes his leadership will encourage voters to take his side. "This isn't about partisan politics, this is about leadership," he said. "We want to talk about children, seniors and our families and what we can do to build them up."

Wanda Bryant, senior deputy attorney general, who has worked with Easley since 1982, said his leadership style facilitates productivity. "He allowed me to have a kind of independence as a prosecutor that I don't think I would have gotten anywhere else," she said.

Perhaps still playing the role of defendant of North Carolinians, Easley continued a focus on patient's rights in his gubernatorial campaign. Easley believes patients should be guaranteed quick internal appeals if a health maintenance organization denies them coverage. After appeal, Easley believes patients should then be able to sue. Easley also says HMOs should ensure children access to pediatricians-not just general practitioners.

Of particular interest to senior citizens, Easley has proposed spending $20 to $30 million to help cover costs of prescription drugs. He has not, however, fleshed out exactly how this plan would work and who would benefit.

Adam Searing, director of the North Carolina Health Access Coalition, is pleased with how Easley has handled health related issues. "I think he has been an excellent advocate for better health for everyone in North Carolina," he said. "I think Easley has talked about a number of issues that I agree with wholeheartedly."

Easley's education platform favors smaller class sizes, teacher re-certification programs and expanding pre-kindergarten programs such as Smart Start. Easley is against vouchers, worrying that they would lead to a lack of accountability in the education system.

Easley has also expressed interest in furthering character education in N.C. schools. "As governor, I will insist that North Carolina schools emphasize and require appropriate behavior, conduct and appearance," his web page says.

Easley has also revisited the lottery issue, a topic that won him widespread support in the Democratic primary. Beginning Friday, his campaign sent out brochures across the state. "Every time someone from North Carolina buys a lottery ticket in another state, it costs our children money that could go to improving our own schools," the brochure reads.

Share and discuss “Vinroot, Easley serve as study in contrasts” on social media.