A&S Council hears plan for Perkins

As the renovation of Perkins Library continues in its preliminary stages, library officials presented the Arts and Sciences Council with a working draft of their priorities Thursday. Outlining issues such as the building's atmosphere, technology and storage space, Robert Byrd, chair of the renovation committee, and David Ferriero, vice provost for library affairs, sought faculty feedback regarding the construction.

"The higher-level administration has instructed us to step back and forget a bit about the Perkins building and think of the role of Perkins Library in the life of Duke University," said Byrd, who is also the director of rare books, manuscripts and special collections.

Calling his committee's initial priorities "a starting point for discussion," Byrd stressed the overall goal of making knowledge more accessible while improving the building's aesthetic qualities.

He added that library officials have met with about a dozen groups so far and have received a lot of helpful feedback that they will eventually present to architects in the spring.

One issue that raised some limited debate among the faculty was the proper level of social and study space in a research library and the possibility of giving parts of the facility a "living room" feel.

Citing the Bryan Center and the Perk as the proper places for lighter studying, Professor of Religion Kalman Bland suggested that Perkins itself maintain a more intellectual atmosphere. "Books ought to be the primary focus of a research library," he said.

Professor of Romance Studies Jean-Jacques Thomas dissented, calling the area around Perkins a "wasteland" and suggesting the construction of a café between the library and the Old Chemistry Building. "There is no incentive to spend time in the library. It's a book mausoleum," he said, citing the atmosphere of bookstore chain Barnes and Noble as a possible model.

Both Byrd and Ferriero emphasized that no decisions have been made regarding the construction and said that options are especially open with regard to a possible increase in floor space. Planning will take about two years, with phased construction lasting for three to five additional years.

The whole project is expected to cost around $50 million, of which $35 million has already been secured.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: University Registrar Bruce Cunningham gave a presentation on the status of Student Information Systems and Services, including the computer system's access problems earlier this semester. He said the problems resulted from a need to balance resources between isolated high-volume days and everyday demands on the system.

But Cunningham also praised the online course registration system and announced pending plans for online billing information, a searchable list of course offerings, online advising materials and the ability to order transcripts online.

Share and discuss “A&S Council hears plan for Perkins” on social media.