Get out and vote

Voting is the easiest and most powerful way to participate in democracy. It is a civic duty of all citizens to make an informed decision and head to the polls on election day.

That day is today, and the choice is yours. If you are registered to vote, there is still time to make an informed choice.

Two hundred and twenty-four years ago, the United States began its quest for freedom. Over the years, scores of Americans have died to protect this nation from those who would take democracy away-both at home and abroad. Vote to honor their memory.

In some nations, people wait in line for days to cast their ballots; in the United States, pundits expect turnout to be around 50 percent. Vote to prove them wrong.

In still other countries, there are people who do not have the freedom to choose their elected leaders or to govern themselves. Vote today to show these people the power of democracy.

Young people's issues are not addressed by the candidates for president because young people do not vote. Senior citizens vote and see their concerns addressed in every policy speech. Vote to make politicians pay attention to your needs.

When you vote today, you define tomorrow.

The Chronicle has endorsed Al Gore for President, Mike Easley for Governor, Beverly Perdue for Lieutenant Governor and David Price for Congress.

Students living on Central and West Campuses vote at W.I. Patterson Recreation Center, located at 2000 Crest St. East Campus residents vote at Watts Street School, located at 700 Watts St. Call the Durham County Board of Elections at 560-0700 for directions.

Share and discuss “Get out and vote” on social media.