Cass wins weight class

The Duke wrestling team had a successful Saturday in Chapel Hill, competing of the UNC Open. The Blue Devils' performance was highlighted by the accomplishments of Tom Cass, who went 3-0 in the 184-pound weight class and captured the individual title. Two first-year Duke wrestlers placed third in their classes- Josh Sheridan at 157 pounds and Tim Marcantonio at 165 pounds.

Matt Hoover said the team was very pleased with its performance at the meet.

"It was definitely our best performance of the year so far," Hoover said. "It shows that we've improved from last year and that Duke wrestling is definitely on the rise. We just have to take a little time now to really realize how good we can be."

Ten Duke wrestlers placed sixth or better in their weight classes.

Josh Sheridan, in the 157-pound bracket, and Tim Marcantonio, at 165 pounds, both captured third place. Senior Sean Meakim placed fourth at 133 pounds, as did freshman Frank Cornely in the 174-pound weight class. Ben Balmages and Hoover placed fifth at 157 and 165 pounds, respectively. Tommy Hoang, Luke Palmisano and Andy Soliman each finished sixth in their class.

Hoover felt the performance of the Duke freshmen left the team with a lot to look forward to.

"It shows that coach [Clar] Anderson is doing a really great job recruiting," Hoover said. "Our wrestlers can go out and compete with anyone. I think the young guys might have been a little nervous at the beginning, but they overcame that."

The team from North Carolina enjoyed the most success, capturing individual crowns in six weight classes.No team accolades were awarded at the event, as wrestlers competed unattached. This also meant that coaches were not allowed on the mat with the wrestlers.

Hoover said the Blue Devils did not seem to suffer without their coaches on the sidelines.

"Even though we can't really have any affiliation with Duke, we always know what we need to do," Hoover said. "It doesn't change anything; we are just as intense."

The Blue Devils will see their next action Saturday at James Mason in Virginia. The following day, they will travel to Philadelphia to compete at Drexel and Bucknell.

"I think we'll definitely take a little more confidence from this tournament into next weekend, but we're not where we want to be by any stretch of the imagination," Hoover said. "We know we've improved, but we also know that we can be much better."

Share and discuss “Cass wins weight class” on social media.