Anonymous doctor gives $1M to arthritis research

Little by little-or million by million-the Medical Center is inching closer to its $550 million goal in the Campaign for Duke. An anonymous, retired physician and alumnus of the School of Medicine set up a $1 million fund to boost research at the Duke Arthritis Center, Medical Center officials announced yesterday.

Life income gifts are managed by Duke, which must pay set earnings each year to the donor and the beneficiary for their lifetimes, when the principal transfers to the college.

The gift will be used to advance research on polymyalgia rheumatica, also known as PMR, a condition characterized by inflammations, low blood cell count and weight loss, as well as pain, fatigue and stiffness in the joints. "This gift will greatly help our research efforts on [polymyalgia rheumatica] and related inflammatory diseases," Dr. David Pisetsky, director of the arthritis center and chief of the division of rheumatology, allergy and clinical immunology, said in a statement.

The causes of polymyalgia rheumatica, which primarily affects women over 50 years of age, are unknown. Some, however, theorize that it may be an auto-immune disorder. The disease is also sometimes associated with giant cell arthritis, which can cause blindness, strokes and other ailments.

"This will be an inspiration to our researchers, and it is an example of the tremendous impact our alumni can have on Duke's ability to find new solutions to diseases that have long puzzled the medical community," Dr. Ralph Snyderman, chancellor for health affairs and president and CEO of the Duke University Health System said in a statement.

So far, the Medical Center has raised more than $375 million toward its campaign goal.

Share and discuss “Anonymous doctor gives $1M to arthritis research” on social media.