Wojo: Little big man?

Common sense would dictate that a point guard who, in his playing days, was five-foot-11 and weighed 175 pounds, would not be coaching guys that are a foot taller and weigh about 100 pounds more.

But this is not common sense, this is Wojo.

Or to be more precise, assistant coach Steve Wojciechowski, who has taken over from former assistant David Henderson the primary responsibility for coaching the post players during Duke's upcoming basketball season.

So why would a point guard be given this job? Why not hire another coach to work with the position players?

"I think that it's due to my ability to communicate as a player and be a leader on and off the court," Wojciechowski said. "Communication is key in this game and I can help [the post players'] ability to communicate."

That may be one reason for this change, but the whole situation would not be an issue were it not for the Research-Triangle coaching whirlwind that followed Bill Guthridge's retirement from UNC this summer.

After the tornado made it safely out of Kansas, it traveled into South Bend, Ind., where it pick up Notre Dame coach Matt Doherty and dropped him at UNC.

Next, it traveled to Delaware and took former Duke assistant coach Mike Brey to Notre Dame. Finally, it came back into the state of North Carolina and surprisingly transplanted Henderson into the head coaching spot at Delaware.

The vacant spot on Duke's bench was given to Chris Collins, former Duke point guard during the mid-90s. Collins, naturally, began working with the guards, but again there was a hole-there was no one to work with centers Casey Sanders and Carlos Boozer.

Enter Wojo.

This summer, Wojciechowski attended the Pete Newell Big Man Camp, a special camp in Honolulu, Hawaii where he learned how to work with post-players. The second-year coach said that it has not been that big a transition compared to his work with the back court last year.

"In this sport, you never stop learning," Wojciechowski said. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity to work with them this year. It has helped me improve in other aspects of the game."

The Newell Camp, founded 23 years ago by former U.S. national team coach Pete Newell, meets every summer to work with both college and professional basketball's "big men."

Newell's camp works mainly on foot and pivot skills that are lacking by many of today's best post-players. The running joke at the camp is that there is absolutely no dunking allowed.

The camp ended only two weeks ago and the season doesn't start for nearly two more months, but Wojciechowski has already started putting both his new and old skills into play. He's also showing his youthfulness on the court as well.

"It's been great," Sanders said. "He's just young enough to remember what it's like getting up at 7 a.m., but also just old enough to be able to push us hard at that time. If things continue the way they're going, we won't have to worry about being fit enough."

Wojciechowski also wants to add another element from his playing days to the post-players-passion. The scrappy former point guard was always known as much for his heart on the floor as his game.

"He comes in at seven in the morning with a lot of energy," Sanders said. "He's like a fireball of energy-it's really hard to describe. He begins 7 a.m. practice throwing Gatorade bottles at us when we're still asleep. He expects us to be alert and alive at all times, and he pumps it into everything we do. Last year when we were freshmen, we were just getting used to school and everything, but this year we have to be alive in everything."

Obviously, Wojciechowski is already excited about his new job.

"So far they have been great to work with," Wojciechowski said. "I couldn't ask for a more dedicated, better group of guys."

Wojciechowski, who still recognizes that he has much to learn over the course of the season, believes that with his experience at point guard, coupled with his new views on the post-positions, he should be able to help the players see basketball from a new angle.

"It should help them understand the total game; now there should be no smoke-and-mirrors," Wojciechowski said. "I should be able to help them understand more of the game and see it also from a guards' view.

"Instead of just not getting the ball, they can learn why they might not have gotten the ball that play and when they might be fed the ball next."

Sanders was quick to agree with his new coach.

"It's great to have him working with us," Sanders said. "He knows what the guards are comfortable throwing at this level, and he tells us where to post up to get that pass. He also makes you know why and he gives you an awareness of the back court that we didn't necessarily have before."

Share and discuss “Wojo: Little big man?” on social media.