Men's soccer disposes of Maryland to end Terps dominance

Since losing twice to start the season, the Duke men's soccer team has hit a hot streak.

The No. 16 Blue Devils (5-2, 2-0 in the ACC) soundly beat Maryland 2-0 when they faced off in Duke's second ACC match of the season at Ludwig Field in College Park, Md. A tired Terrapin team (4-4-1, 1-1) logged its fourth straight loss at home, while Duke has won its last four matches in a row.

"It was a conference game, so it was doubly important," coach John Rennie said. "We shut out an ACC team away from home which is a very difficult thing to do. Everybody played well."

Duke wasted no time in obtaining the lead when freshman Jordan Cila scored the first goal in the 29th minute of the first half. The goal was assisted by last week's co-ACC player of the week, senior Ali Curtis, to give Duke the 1-0 advantage going into the second half.

"That's [Cila's] sixth goal in seven games, and as a freshman, [that's] a remarkable accomplishment," Rennie said. "His style of play blends in perfectly with Ali, so they make a great pair."

In the second half, the Terrapins fielded only 14 healthy players and used their sixth different starting lineup in seven games. Still, the injury-plagued Terps only managed five shots in the second half.

And they continued to be bewildered by Curtis' strong play, as the Duke forward scored an unassisted goal in the 56th minute of the game.

"Obviously, [Curtis and Cila] scored the goals, so they get the credit, but the whole team played very well," Rennie said. "It was very hot and very humid. We needed a lot of players and all of them played very well."

Duke tallied a 19-13 advantage in shots, as Robert Russell led the offensive attack with four shots. Maryland forward Abe Thompson led the Terps with five shots, while two of his teammates, Rob Birch and Tyler Pharr, tallied two shots apiece.

And in net, Blue Devil senior Jeff Haywood saved seven shots by the Terrapins. Maryland's Christian Lewis finished with nine saves in the losing effort, a season-high for the senior keeper.

The victory is even more sweet for Duke considering that Maryland has dominated the Blue Devils in the recent past. In fact, since they started playing each other in 1949, the Terrapins have amassed a 38-14-3 record against Duke.

"They are the one team in the over 20-some years I've been here that it's just been impossible for us to beat," said Rennie. "I honestly don't remember the last time we won against Maryland."

The Blue Devils have an important week coming up, as they face off against Radford and North Carolina. But the team is also looking forward to these contests because the next four games will be at home.

"We've got another big week against Radford and another conference game," Rennie said. "And we'll be happy to be home, that's for sure."

Share and discuss “Men's soccer disposes of Maryland to end Terps dominance” on social media.