Baptists flood Divinity School

Changes in Baptist seminaries across the country and recruitment efforts at Duke have this year yielded the largest number of Baptist students to ever enroll in the Divinity School, a traditionally Methodist institution.

"Duke offers connections with more moderate churches," said Divinity student Jennifer Howell. She explained that the recent takeover of southern conventions by more conservative Baptists alienates many students, and added that many students already knew about several moderate faculty members before coming to Duke.

One third of the first-year Baptist students are women, perhaps because the Divinity School is more open to women serving as ministers than some Baptist organizations, said Dean of the Divinity School Gregory Jones. "Duke is a place that is supportive to Baptist women interested in ministry," he said. "The Baptist seminaries are not."

The Divinity School, which has 106 Baptists this year out of 460 students total, offers such students the Baptist House of Studies, a program that provides courses and connections with local churches. It is designed to encourage fellowship and worship among Baptist students.

"We will always be strongly Methodist, but we want an ecumenical environment," Jones explained. "An increase in diversity is a high priority denominationally and in terms of ethnicity." He added that because many Baptist students are also black, their enrollment increases diversity in more ways than one.

"This is an opportunity we need to take advantage of to increase awareness," said Jocleen McCall, a Baptist student and president of the Black Seminarians' Union at Duke.

Baptist recruitment efforts have also included increasing the number of Baptist faculty members. Recruitment efforts have contributed to a doubling in the number of Baptist divinity students over the last ten years. These students now make up 21 percent of the student body, a six percent increase over the last year.

"There is an awareness in all classes that a variety of denominations are present. It enlivens classes because people come from other backgrounds," first-year divinity student Warren Kinghorn said.

Another advantage of diversity is that it allows students to better understand other viewpoints and affirm their own faith, said Howell. "It helps me define better why I believe what I believe," she said.

The decision to enroll in the Divinity School was not solely denominationally-based for many Baptist students, however.

In regard to educational goals, divinity students believe that all denominations are pursuing an understanding of theology versus practice.

"Duke offers a good education in practical knowledge," said first-year divinity student Chad Eggleston. He also pointed out that Duke's high level of academic challenge draws in students of all denominations.

Jones added that while many classes focus on Methodism, other courses and activities may target different traditions.

Outside activities include organizations such as Corporate Worship, which puts students, administrators and faculty members in charge of worship services that demonstrate the Divinity School's variety and diversity of theological traditions. The Student Association also brings students together throughout its many branches.

Although United Methodists and Baptists make up the majority of the students, Presbyterians, Roman Catholics, Lutherans and Episcopalians each make up less than four percent of the new class. Therefore, while the Divinity School intends to continue its Baptist recruiting efforts, it will focus on other faiths as well.

Share and discuss “Baptists flood Divinity School” on social media.