Instruction focus, quality outweigh structure in children's lives

School from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m., soccer practice from 3 until 5 p.m., dinner at 6 p.m., and then homework: what once was a carefree afternoon in the life of a child can often become a set schedule, much like the one found in the workday of adults.

But is the other extreme, an unstructured, let-kids-be-kids approach truly a better alternative? Dilemmas such as these raise questions about the level of structure necessary in a child's life.

Amid these questions, it appears that the quality of instruction and individualized focus, rather than a child's specific schedule makes the real difference.

"The idea of free, unstructured time is a matter of a particular cultural view that understands the child as needing something like that to be creative," said Professor of psychology Michael Wallach. "Such a term largely emerges out of a particular historical epic that understands competence more in terms of freedom than actual explicit accomplishment."

Wallach believes that a complete and systematic approach that assumes no prerequisites and also fills the gaps in a child's knowledge can push the child's passion further.

But Dr. Deborah Squire, assistant clinical professor, urges caution if the child's passion lies in a sport.

"If they're involved in athletics, the repetitive trauma can be too much for their bodies," she said.

When a child gets achy or tired while playing in a sandlot, she explained, the child can simply get up and go home. If, however, the child is playing soccer on a team, further participation may be coerced by peer pressure or an adult coach.

This influence will cause a child to continue playing even when exhausted.

Although many critics say that Wallach's approach is too structured and increases the child's dependency on a specific teacher, Wallach argued that this method can be very liberating, motivating the child to learn more independently.

Still, he reiterated that while such an approach emphasizes structure, the process has to be correct.

"It's not a matter of asking the child to do something, but making it possible for the child to do what he wants to do," Wallach said.

Psychology Professor Emeritus Irving Alexander agreed, stressing that the child's interest patterns should be maximized, as opposed to making the child fit into a specific mold.

"If people spent more time studying the interests of their own child, it would take [the children] further," he said.

No matter what the activity, Squire said, parents must learn to tailor it to the child's personality.

"What may be perfectly appropriate and easily handled by some children may not be so for others," she said, adding that particular attention should be paid to the child's aches, pains and soreness.

Parents, though, should not underestimate the amount of information they already have on their child, Alexander said. "You know that child and you know what works with the child," he said.

Share and discuss “Instruction focus, quality outweigh structure in children's lives” on social media.