The Unofficial Graduation Requirements

W hen the Class of 2004 enters the University this fall, it will face a new set of academic requirements under Curriculum 2000. Yet five graduation requirements remain the same-the unofficial ones.

"Part of it is tradition and part of it just bragging rights. Part of it is just doing a couple more really stupid things before you graduate and have to be out in the real world," said Trinity senior Cory Chen of the five unofficial tasks' appeal.

Most students said the unofficial requirements are a topic of late-night conversations more than personal goals. There are also those undergrads who see them as an essential part of Duke tradition.

"It was definitely a priority of mine to accomplish them," said Trinity senior Dan Huber.

University Archivist Bill King said the origins are unknown, but probably not of long-lived tradition. "They were not here in 1961 when I graduated; they could well have begun in the late '60s when students started questioning authority," he said. Indeed, all five of the requirements are criminal acts that the administration does not condone.

That being said, with just two weeks left until the members of the Class of 2000 reach their deadline, The Chronicle decided it was time take a closer look at the five tasks and provide a little guidance for those who have yet to unofficially graduate.

Driving Around the Traffic Circle Backwards

Unanimously declared the easiest requirement to meet, many undergraduates and alumnae admitted completing this task several times just for fun.

"That was easy-no one's going to stop you," said David Pryluck, Trinity '99. "It happens more out of convenience that anything else. Sometimes its easier to go around the other way and then you find yourself going all of the way around."

Although driving around the circle backwards is comparatively benign to some of the other more risqué tasks, there is the potential to be charged with careless and reckless driving. "I can't recall giving someone a citation for that in the recent past, but it is subject to happen if an officer observes such actions," said Maj. Robert Dean of the Duke University Police Department.

Tunneling

Accessing the tunnels that run under both campuses became a four-year quest for Cory Rayburn, Trinity '98. "Over the course of four years, we were always on the look out for ways to get into the tunnels and it would never work," he said.

"We always had these visions that if we did get into the tunnels under Main West, there would be these rats the size of dogs running around," he said.

Students who have been in the tunnels gave less exciting reports, like finding large stacks of plates under the Marketplace.

Several students said they've accessed the tunnels through entrances near the loading dock behind the Hideaway and just beyond Trinity Café in the East Campus Student Union. Trinity senior Christine Paczkowski and Trinity sophomore C.J. Walsh both said there are doors that lead to the tunnels at the end of the halls on East Campus main quad dorms, like Wilson.

Kathleen Wallace, assistant dean of student development, said there is potentially dangerous high voltage equipment down there. "We did have someone who locked themselves in the tunnel a couple years ago and had to call the police to come let him out," said Wallace.

Sex in the Stacks

"Perkins is pretty is tough because when you walk in there smelling of booze at 1 a.m. carrying no backpack, people know you're doing something really nefarious," said Trinity senior Sidney Simms, a recent "unofficial graduate."

Huber said that although its hard to find a good spot, the fourth floors stacks are usually the most secluded. "Whatever books are there aren't commonly used," he said.

Several alumni reported that "sex requirements" are not long standing traditions.

"I do not recall the 'sex in the stacks' requirement being talked about until 10 or so years ago," said Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Sue Wasiolek, Trinity '76. She added that she has not completed the requirements herself.

Sex in the Gardens

"When you walk around the gardens at night you hear noises," said Trinity sophomore Helen Zayac. "Its funny. You know what's going on."

While sneaking into the gardens at night may provide the most cover, a Trinity aluma who wished to remain anonymous had other advice.

"Although this would seem the most logical thing to do, I would not attempt the Gardens during night time," he said. "It seems a little dangerous. Daytime is a little more risky as far as getting caught, but I have heard it is a lot safer."

Wallace confirmed that students have been subject to disciplinary actions for indecent exposure in both the library and the gardens.

Doming

"I got bruised having sex in the stacks, dirty having sex in the gardens, and asbestos poisoning from tunneling," said a Trinity senior who wishes to remain anonymous. "I guess doming was the most fun-there's nothing more exhilarating than seeing East Campus stretched out below you."

Doming is the unofficial requirement that presents the greatest physical challenge, and also poses the greatest risk. According to those who have done it, accessing the dome from Pegram is relatively easy compared to actually scaling the dome.

"My friend was a monkey and could climb anything, he then helped pull me up," said Paczkowski. "There was a rope at the highest part, to actually get up to the dome."

When caught "doming," students can be with charged with trespassing, Dean said.

"Some of the recent 'Baldwin' folks have refused to come down and then ran from police once they did come down. I believe those people lost their housing licenses," said Wallace.

Share and discuss “The Unofficial Graduation Requirements” on social media.