Weight training is good for more than just muscles-it can reduce blood pressure and increase life span.

W hether it's part of a healthy lifestyle or just the annual "getting-in-shape-for-Myrtle" ritual, many students rely on weight training to keep them fit and toned.

The benefits of weight training are often obvious, ranging from an increase in muscle mass to a decrease in body fat levels. However, regular weight training can also reduce blood pressure and resting heart rate as well as increase metabolism.

"If you have more lean body mass, you'll burn more calories," explained Kristen Christopher, strength and conditioning coach for varsity sports. She said the promise of a healthier look is attracting more women, many of whom now lift weights to complement their cardiovascular workouts.

Christopher added that with a better muscle tone comes a toned look, which seems to help boost people's confidence levels. In older populations, weight training can also increase the length and quality of life.

"Those who engage in regular exercise live longer," said Neil Freedman, assistant professor of cardiology. He also stressed that the majority of benefits come from the continuity of weight training. Christopher explained that "strength training builds stronger muscles and bones, thereby making them easier to sustain."

But there are limitations and risks associated with weight training. Christopher said overtraining and injury are the primary ones.

In addition, Robert Waugh, associate professor of Cardiology, pointed out that isometric exercise, training with heavier weights, produces striking increases in blood pressure.

"With a healthy young cardiovascular system, this is generally not a problem," said Waugh, adding that anyone with a history of congestive heart failure or high blood pressure should be carefully evaluated and avoid isometric weight training. For those individuals, Waugh suggested isotonic exercise, training with lighter weights for a longer duration of time.

Christopher also noted that proper eating habits are crucial to the success of a weight training program. She said the body has to be fueled correctly with the right types of food.

Wondering if and where to start?

"[Weight training] class is a good way to start off because you can get credit for it," said Roy Skinner, who teaches a weight training class in the Wilson Recreation Center.

He stressed the importance of identifying personal goals.

Christopher agreed, but added that these goals must also be realistic.

"Don't expect to lose 30 pounds and look like a supermodel all in one semester," she said. Christopher also cautioned people about believing everything written in magazines like Fitness and Shape.

Trinity sophomore Brian Planchard, who is currently enrolled in Skinner's class, said he enjoys the experience because it provides him with stress relief and mandatory class attendance eliminates workout apathy.

Share and discuss “Weight training is good for more than just muscles-it can reduce blood pressure and increase life span.” on social media.