Children's hospital opens to cheers

Everybody seems to be smiling here-especially the children.

The new McGovern-Davison Children's Health Center, which began offering limited services to young patients last Monday, is housed in a bright, brand-new $30.5 million building designed to make hospital visits easier for children and their families.

Katie Butler, public relations manager for Duke Children's Hospital, said the center allows children to stay in one place while undergoing various treatments. "What we've done is we've brought together all the pediatric, medical and surgical specialty areas under one roof," she said.

The center, 90 percent of which was funded by philanthropy, was especially designed for children and teenagers. The architectural firm hired to design the building had planned several other pediatric facilities.

Sherri Bundy, whose 14-year-old son, Rodney Tanner, has been receiving chemotherapy at Duke since last July, said the new facility is a clear improvement. The old center, known as "the dungeon" because of its location in the subbasement of the hospital, "was dreary, it was crowded," she said. "It was very hard for [Rodney] to get around."

By focusing on children, the hospital also recognizes the importance of families. Waiting rooms are open and spacious, examination rooms are bigger than those in the old building and private consultation rooms allow doctors and families to talk without distractions.

Bundy said the more spacious rooms allow both her and her husband to be present during Rodney's treatment. "[My husband] used to feel in the way, and he was," she said. "Now they encourage you to stay."

Butler agreed that the difference between the two centers is remarkable. The McGovern-Davison Center, she said, "is night and day from our old facility."

Kenneth and Denee Oxendine have been making the two-hour drive from Lumberton to Durham ever since their two-year-old son, Austin, was diagnosed with sickle-cell anemia shortly after birth. On their first visit to the new facility, they complimented it for being spacious and well-lit. "It's beautiful," said Denee. "This will brighten your day."

Kenneth Oxendine shook his head, struggling to describe his pleasure with the center. "It's just a good feeling," he said.

Austin Oxendine, who will be receiving a bone marrow transplant this week, smiled as he played with toys available in the waiting area and pointed every time the elevator, which has a brightly colored and exposed pulley system, passed by his floor.

The center, which will be fully operational by May 1, will also boast a play area facing Erwin Road. This area will feature a basketball court called "K's Court," named in honor of Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who, along with his wife Mickie, heads the hospital's national board of advisers.

Butler said that everyone involved is happy that the facility is finally ready to serve the children. "This has been a dream to bring all children's services together," she said.

Share and discuss “Children's hospital opens to cheers” on social media.