Wyclef lights up Page

Hip-hop star Wyclef Jean knows how to move a crowd, and he used this knowledge to entertain an energetic audience in Page Auditorium last night.

Approximately 1,100 fans left smiling after more than two hours of frolicking.

"I think the kids had a lot of fun," said Trinity junior Justin Lessek, co-chair of security for the event. "Everyone I talked to was happy."

Before Wyclef stepped on stage, concertgoers were treated to a set on the turntables by his DJ and a rendition of Carlos Santana's "Maria Maria," currently the number-two single in the nation.

The first part of the concert was a mix of songs from Wyclef's solo album, The Carnival, songs from his former band, the Fugees, and covers of popular hip-hop songs from the last decade.

Wyclef kept the crowd on its toes by liberally shifting between singing, storytelling and freestyle rapping. At one point, he jumped from the stage and into the crowd to sing his club hit, "We Tryin' to Stay Alive," while audience members mobbed him.

Wyclef received an especially enthusiastic response from the crowd when his DJ spun such popular party songs as House of Pain's "Jump Around" and "Back That Azz Up" by Juvenile. His rendition of the Fugees' "Fu-Gee-La" brought cheers from the audience, but it clearly suffered without the vocals of former Fugee Lauryn Hill.

Wyclef interspersed his songs with lengthy digressions, including plenty of quirky advice for the Duke audience, who he urged to "loosen up" and "pull up the chairs."

With more than an hour left in the show, Wyclef began what he called the "afterparty." Over a mixed stream of beats, he rapped and danced on stage. Several times he enlisted the help of audience members. In one such instance, three couples selected from the crowd competed in a dance contest set to Rick James' "Super Freak."

The "afterparty" concept proved to be a big hit with fans. "I thought it was epic," said Trinity senior Asad Rahman. "It was like going to a party with Wyclef as the DJ."

Wyclef spoke throughout the evening about race relations and at one point sang a song about Amadou Diallo, the unarmed African immigrant who was shot 41 times by New York City police officers last year.

Concertgoers said Wyclef's message of unity enhanced the atmosphere of the show. "He [seemed] really glad to see different races come together and have a good time," said Pratt freshman Noelle Trent.

The concert was sponsored by the Duke University Union's Major Attractions Committee.

Share and discuss “Wyclef lights up Page” on social media.