It's a Q Thing

From Elton John and k.d. lang to Melissa Etheridge and George Michael, successful gay and lesbian artists have become huge names in the music industry. Increasing openness of sexual orientation, especially in entertainment, has been one of the great success stories of the '90s. Gay-themed films like Philadelphia and drama such as the musical Rent garnered national audiences and raised acceptance and awareness to new heights. Musicians like Michael Stipe and Kurt Cobain flaunted their ambiguities, while even hard-core straight guys felt comfortable kissing onstage. This decade begins with a very, very different attitude than the previous one, and the industry's challenge is to keep the progress going.

Duke is getting things started off right with the Q Music Festival, which brings five nationally recognized gay and lesbian artists to Baldwin Auditorium tonight at 8 pm. According to Kerry Poynter, program coordinator for the Duke Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Life, this concert is the first such festival of its kind in North Carolina. Poynter notes that it even helps to set a national precedent: "Really, when you look nationwide, a show of this nature just doesn't happen."

Now that the show is happening, the musical possibilities are boundless. Though all are solo artists, the festival's five acts have a refreshing diversity of styles and geographical backgrounds. Jamie Anderson, the only local artist on the bill and the event's emcee, combines comedy with folk stylings. Barnes, former lead singer of early-'90s act The Nylons, uses hip-hop sampling and dance beats. Robin Renee (pictured above), a black artist and activist from New Jersey, has appeared with national artists ranging from dance-popper Crystal Waters to the jam band moe. Steve Cohen has been called everything from rock to adult contemporary by the press in his hometown of Philadelphia, but both they and Billboard magazine agree that he's one to watch. Atlanta artist Angela Motter plays a style she cumbersomely labels "folkalternagroove," which despite the name has earned her nominations for two GLAMA's, the gay equivalent of the Grammys.

Despite their diversity, these independent artists are united by what Poynter characterizes as "artistic integrity and honesty"-as well as openness about their sexuality. Unlike most of today's most popular gay and lesbian stars, Poynter notes that "these artists are 'out' now in their careers. They're not signed to a major label-they didn't come out a decade later when they were already popular."

Even in its debut year, the festival has enjoyed strong nationwide support. Included among the festival's six sponsors are Music Choice, the broadcaster of OUTsounds, a weekly gay and lesbian radio program that broadcasts via the audio channels on cable TV, and GAYBC, an online radio network that will broadcast the show next month. The publicity should be a boon to both the Duke gay and lesbian community and the artists, who Poynter says are more used to playing coffeehouses and bars than in front of hundreds of people.

Poynter's goals for the festival are lofty but attainable. He hopes it will raise awareness of gay and lesbian music, both nationally and in the Triangle. "I think there's a lot of talent out there," he says, "The Raleigh-Durham area is pretty open-minded when it comes to gay and lesbian issues.... I think people are used to this sort of thing." Though it is a gay and lesbian music festival, the artists are hoping for broader appeal as well. "I hope people can walk away feeling like [these artists'] being out doesn't mean they can't understand or connect with their music," Poynter says.

Festivals like this prove that today's Duke is far less stodgy and conservative than its reputation implies. "We need to make sure this school will be a welcoming place for students of any background," Poynter notes. If daring, high-profile events like the Q Music Festival can be successful and enduring, Duke's image is definitely in for a facelift.

Share and discuss “It's a Q Thing” on social media.