Hundreds of Durham schoolkids spend day at Duke

Early Thursday morning, wide-eyed students filed into Cameron Indoor Stadium greeted by cheerleaders and sounds of the band playing. The students weren't the Cameron Crazies, but perhaps they will be in the future.

Five hundred students and teachers representing all of Durham's public middle and high schools spent the day listening to speakers, taking campus tours and attending information sessions. Organized by the Office of Community Development, "Schools Day" is part of a series of events celebrating the University's 75th anniversary.

"It was really different from what I expected from such a large university," said Tekia Banner, a senior at Southern High School. "But everyone was really nice and I had fun."

By bringing teenagers from the community to the campus, organizers said Duke hopes to expand its partnership with Durham Public Schools.

"This is something that we haven't really done before," said Susan Kauffman, an assistant in the office of public affairs who organized the event. "A lot of the kids haven't been to Duke. We want them to be excited about being here."

Assistant basketball coach Steve Wojciechowski, who tipped off the day, spoke about the history of Cameron and how it is one of the cornerstones of Duke as well as a symbol of community. Encouraging the students to reach for their goals by starting in the classroom, Wojciechowski also emphasized the importance of taking education seriously. "Duke is such a big part of the community that a lot of kids don't get the chance to be exposed to...," he said. "This is a great experience [for the kids] to know what it is like to be at one of the best universities."

President Nan Keohane spoke to the students about the campus' beauty and richness, encouraging them to visit any place on campus at any time. She especially emphasized the Chapel, the Sarah P. Duke Gardens and the gargoyles.

Although there are several outreach events with the Durham Public Schools throughout the year, Keohane said this event was geared to help the students become familiar with the University's facilities. "It is designed to let middle and high school students see Duke as a comfortable place to be," she said.

Sporting bright yellow shirts throughout the day, a staff of University students and faculty served as volunteers. "I think [the kids] got the chance to be exposed to a lot of diversity," said volunteer and Trinity sophomore D.J. Bolden.

The students ended their visit in Page Auditorium, listening to a presentation by the admissions office about how they could someday gain seats in the student section of Cameron-by coming to Duke.

Kauffman hoped not only that the students had fun, but that they would see the possibilities of what pursuing a higher education can mean. "We hope to see the kids leave here feeling excited about going to college, any college," she said.

Share and discuss “Hundreds of Durham schoolkids spend day at Duke” on social media.