Letter distorts views and fails to address arguments

In her Feb. 3 letter, Julia Gray presents a gross distortion of Kathryn VanWert's argument concerning Pi Phi's bid night practices. She seems to believe that VanWert's concern for that evening's events stemmed from the underage drinking involved. This is not the case.

The entire Duke community has every reason to be shocked at what Gray refers to as "inebriation and callous revelry." Underage drinking occurs constantly at Duke- and other universities-both at greek and independent functions. VanWert was neither denying nor expressing discomfort with this fact. Pi Phi is not unique from other sororities in its bid night practice of encouraging drinking and "revelry," but it is unique in its treatment of the pledges in its care.

Greek life supposedly promotes fellowship, provides a support system among members and offers the comfort and community of sisterhood (or brotherhood, as the case may be). Even those pledges who accept the idea of a somewhat painful initiation process expect the reward of membership in this caring community afterwards. Nevertheless, the fate that befell some of the Pi Phi pledges on their bid night was unnecessary, uncalled for and certainly not performed under the pretense of an initiation rite.

Underage drinking, although commonplace, accepted and expected, is not an excuse for "sisters" to allow their new inductees to jeopardize their health and personal safety. I would like to recapitulate the circumstances: these girls were walking home alone, not suitably clothed for the weather, with obscenities and vulgarities scrawled on their bodies. Perhaps I, along with VanWert, hold "provincial" ideas of simple human decency and respect, and perhaps with experience I will become desensitized (as Gray and her compatriots seem to be) to such acts of callousness and disregard for dignity. It is not the "thought of drunk students" that disgusts VanWert, myself and the numerous other members of the Duke community who share this position, but the thought of a sick, uncaring and spoiled sisterhood that threatens the safety and sanity of its pledges.

Katherine Thompson

Trinity '03

Share and discuss “Letter distorts views and fails to address arguments” on social media.