Johnson highlights Duke-Durham link

When it comes to tackling Duke-Durham relations, Carrie Johnson thinks it's all about first impressions.

"At my freshman orientation, the only mention of Durham was in reference to being aware of sexual assault," said the Trinity sophomore. Among other initiatives, Johnson hopes that by running for vice president for community interaction, she can change this and make freshman orientation include not only orientation to Duke, but also orientation to Durham.

"The Duke community is just a small sphere," she said. "It should automatically include the Durham community."

Earlier this year, Johnson and Trinity sophomore Catherine Frels, with the help of the current vice president for community interaction Jeremy Huff, submitted a proposal to the administration that emphasized the importance of immediately introducing the freshman class to Durham. "Students' view of Durham is split between a somewhat negative perception, and a non-perception," Johnson said. Introducing them to the city earlier would help make freshman feel that "not only East Campus and Duke is their home, but Ninth Street is as well."

Assistant Dean of Student Development Lisa Dingman was enthusiastic about the proposal. "I'm excited to see that there is student interest in improving [orientation]," she said. "I think learning about opportunities in and around Durham... is definitely worthwhile, and that it's our job to make students aware of these opportunities."

Frels praised Johnson's motivation. "Carrie has shown great initiative in working on our dual legislative project and in her involvement with DSG throughout the entire year," Frels said. "She approaches each task with eagerness and is innovative in achieving her goals."

Johnson also feels there is a lack of interaction between the administration and student groups, and she would like to see that problem remedied; a picture-book directory might help facilitate communication, she said.

Among her other concerns, Johnson said she would like to see more advertising for the Young Trustee position. "People don't know the Young Trustee position exists," she said. "The problem is publicity. It's hard to reach all students who may be interested. Once they realize it, the deadline may be passed."

Huff said he did not consider this year's decreased number of Young Trustee candidates a problem. "People who want it, know about it," he said. "It's a self-selective process. People seek it out and plan for this sort of thing, at least that's been my experience."

Johnson attended the Beaufort leadership retreat at the beginning of the year and is also actively involved in women's issues on campus.

DSG's community interaction committee, Johnson said, should act as a conduit for others' ideas. "I think Community Interaction can do a lot on its own," she said, "but I think it can do a lot more when it reaches out and works with other student groups to start initiatives."

Richard Rubin contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Johnson highlights Duke-Durham link” on social media.