Inter-racial dating

I t's a controversial subject that rarely stirs up controversy, and the only thing Duke students agree on is that most of them are uncomfortable talking about it.

Interracial dating. It is politically incorrect to be opposed to it, but participating in a relationship with someone of a different race would put some students in conflict with their culture, their family and even their own values.

"Duke is the kind of place where people's feelings about those things aren't really talked about, so there's always some hesitation as to people's reactions," said a black student-who asked to remain anonymous-and who has a white boyfriend.

Their friends, many of whom are mutual, have been accepting of their relationship, but the Trinity sophomore said she doesn't always feel comfortable participating in public displays of affection at Duke.

"Cross-cultural relationships are often closely scrutinized in an effort to determine if the reasons why the couple are dating are 'legitimate,'" said Anita-Yvonne Bryant, a staff psychologist and coordinator of multicultural services at Counseling and Psychological Services. "Having the underlying reasons for the attraction so closely scrutinized can bring added pressures to the relationship."

A white student said that although interracial dating was more common at her more diverse Illinois high school, her long-term boyfriend's race has not created a problem for them at the University.

"I don't think the climate necessarily promotes interracial dating just because it is such a self-segregating campus," she said. "Due to the lack of interracial couples one sees on campus, people are uncomfortable about them," the Trinity sophomore said.

Although none of the couples interviewed reported any direct harassment about their relationships at Duke, they said they are aware that many students, for varying reasons, do not share their desire to date outside of their own background.

"Because of the part of the country that I'm from, I could never bring home a black girl or someone of a different race to my family," said a Pratt sophomore from the South. "Maybe they wouldn't say it to my face, but I know it would be an issue because of prejudice."

He didn't want his name printed for fear of being labeled racist and said that it's regrettable that becoming involved interracially would create such problems for him.

A black student, also influenced by his family, expressed reservations about dating outside of his race. "I have an obligation to stay within my race and ensure that my culture is passed on to my kids so that they know who they are and are not confused," he said. Despite any attractions he felt, he "would never invest any emotional attachment."

He said that friendships, not romantic relationships, "make you more tolerant and give you a different perspective of what other people are capable of."

Daegan Smith, a Trinity sophomore who met his white girlfriend, Pratt sophomore Kim Novick, at the Hideaway, said students have a much greater chance of meeting and forming relationships with students of their own race.

"I think that most don't date interracially because of the social group they hang out with, and the places they choose to hang out," said Smith, who is black. "Most people tend to hang out with people of their own race."

This past year, the administration, organizations like Students to Unite Duke and various fraternities and sororities have sponsored social events designed to promote interracial and cross-cultural interaction.

However, increased interracial dating is not one of the objectives of these events, said STUD President Sonny Caberwal, a Trinity junior.

"Can interracial relationships result from these mixers?" questioned Trinity senior Damani Sims, president of the Black Student Alliance. "That's really anybody's call. If individuals feel they have an attachment, it's a personal thing for them."

Trinity senior Rusty Shappley, who is white and dating Trinity senior Caroline Hu, who is Taiwanese, said interaction will probably increase as more mixers are set up.

"Once this divide is crossed, there is the possibility that more serious relationships could be forged, but that as always is up to the individual members and not the fraternities and sororities," said Shappley, who added that the chief positive aspect of his relationship has been learning about his girlfriend's culture.

"Coming from vastly different backgrounds and possessing unique experiences, we have learned a great deal from each other," said Shappley, executive vice president of Duke Student Government. "I find out what it was like to attend high school in Taiwan, and she hears me talk about growing up in a Southern city."

Novick said she has also learned from her relationship. When Smith visited her hometown, she said she became more aware that racism still exists.

"Back home I've never been pulled over, and he got pulled over about five times when he was visiting me," she said, adding that young people tend to be less judgmental and more idealistic than the rest of society.

Share and discuss “Inter-racial dating” on social media.