New Music For You and Yours

Beastie Boys

The Sounds of Science

This anthology features 42 tracks by the NYC trio and covers the entire span of their career, from their days as a punk band in the early 80s to three brand new songs produced in 1999. The true Beastie fan will love this collection for the rarities and B-sides, including a blistering live recording of "3 MCs & 1 DJ" where Mix Master Mike gets mad nice on the wheels of steel.

Alanis Morissette

MTV Unplugged

I-eee-I, don't kno-ow, why-eee anybod-aayyy still listens to this. Alanis may be the only lyricist more painful than Trent Reznor-and her voice is a whole lot worse.

Foo Fighters

There Is Nothing Left to Lose

This just might be the best Foo Fighters release yet, as the trio (guitarist Pat Smear left the band last year) explores a consistent theme of sickness (caused by love? envy? who knows...) over the course of the album's 11 tracks. They seem to have calmed down a bit, utilizing a more liquid bassy feel and letting Dave Grohl croon a little more, rather than just scream.

Will Smith

Willennium

The title bites off way more than it can chew, but Willennium begins with more of Smith's adept, G-rated, feel-good fluff. The hip-hop Gumby proves that sometimes tearing up the dance floor is better than rolling in your six-four. He's no groundbreaker, but Smith delivers on his promises, sampling disco beats and the Clash and proving, once and for all, that sometimes, being soft is the route to being, as he says, "Microsoft."

Korn

Issues

The clangor continues. Korn still hasn't figured out that you don't always have to scream to be heard, but they're learning. In fact, there's less screaming on this album than ever, and there's even some nice womanly falsetto action from lead singer. A more textured, less painful effort than 1998's Follow the Leader. Something of a concept album, in fact, but let's get real here-it's still Korn.

Master P

Only God Can Judge Me

The mealy-mouthed mogul trades the "ungghhs" for "hail Marys," and the resulting mix of faux-religious histrionics and moneyed bravado sucks more than Puff Daddy. And Master P, you're wrong. Recess can judge you, too. It's called a review, and you've just earned a big, fat D.

Goldie

The INCredible Sound of Drum N'Bass

Set to drop in early January 2000, Goldie's catch-all comp presents a compelling picture of d'n'b's finest flavors. Goldie's tracks, plus strong offerings from Photek, Carl Craig and others, prove that while progressive house may rule the clubs, d'n'b is as vital as ever.

Dave Matthews Band

Listener Supported

Those without tin ears figured out a long time ago that the Falstaffian Matthews and his band's limited repertoire gets really old when stretched across six albums. Dave and the band slog through another 2 discs of frat-ruffian fodder that leaves you reaching for the Excedrin. DMB has more listeners-and support-than it deserves. Isn't anybody tired of this shit yet?

Metallica

S&M

This performance with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra has a distinctly Zeppelinesque feel. Metal's flirtations with classical arrangements usually seem overblown, but Metallica's third-degree krunch has never sounded better, or more intelligent, than it does here.

Phish

Hampton Comes Alive

Finally, the band figures out that the best Phish records can't happen in a studio. These six discs' worth of their 1998 Hampton Coliseum run is Phish's most worthwhile release ever, and it sounds a lot better than amateur CDRs and MP3s.

Soundtrack

Pokemon: The First Movie

What could be more addictive than the tag-team combo of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, 'N Sync, Baby Spice and others? Combining them with those cute little furry dragon looking things, of course.

Share and discuss “New Music For You and Yours” on social media.