Football capitalizes on Wake's mistakes in 1st quarter surge

Before most fans could break open their game day programs and before the cheerleaders could break out their traditional "blue-white" cheer, Duke's gamebreaker broke open the game.

Scottie Montgomery received the opening kickoff at his own one-yard line, eluded several would-be tacklers, picked up a couple blocks-including one by Jamyon Small near midfield-and sprinted 99 yards for the score.

It was Duke's first kick return for a touchdown since a 1993 visit to Tennessee, but more importantly, it ignited Duke's first quarter run to the record books and a 48-35 victory on Senior Day.

Montgomery would later add a 28-yard touchdown reception and a 6-yard run on an end around, a la the Florida Gators, and the Blue Devils took Wake Forest behind the woodshed in Duke's last home game of the millennium.

The Demon Deacons came into the game looking to become bowl-eligible with a win, but after one quarter of play, they were looking bewildered. The Blue Devils had surpassed the 30-point barrier on just one previous occasion this season, but they built a 34-0 lead Saturday in the first 15 minutes.

The 34 point outburst was the most in school history, shattering the old mark set Sept. 25, 1954 when the Blue Devils hung 32 on the board against the Pennsylvania Quakers.

Wake's normally dangerous ground game was held to minus-12 yards on 10 carries in the first 15 minutes of play. Quarterback Ben Sankey fared little better in the air, managing only 19 yards.

Duke capitalized on Wake Forest's early miscues. Twice Duke began drives inside the Wake Forest 20, and twice the Blue Devils came away with touchdowns.

In the early going, the Blue Devils executed their game plan to perfection. Letavious Wilks' 46 first-quarter yards got what had been the nation's worst ground game going strong.

Kevin Thompson, filling in for the injured Spencer Romine, was also sharp in the first period. The fifth-year senior was 7-of-9 passing for 82 yards with a pair of touchdowns.

Probably most surprising in Duke's win was the great play of its defense. The much-maligned unit, which had been allowing 433.7 yards per contest including a 193.9 average on the ground, held the Deacons to just seven yards in the first quarter.

Pressure by Duke's front seven produced two sacks and forced Sankey into one bad decision after another. The defense also held Kane, one of the conference's premier runners, to minus-10 yards in the first period and zero total rushing yards for the game.

Share and discuss “Football capitalizes on Wake's mistakes in 1st quarter surge” on social media.