Am-'Bushed: North Carolina wins one for its head coach

CHAPEL HILL - Perhaps it was the initials C.T. carefully etched on punter Brian Schmitz's helmet before the game. Perhaps it was the inspired, almost superhuman effort of the Tar Heels. But one thing became painfully clear to Duke's players as Saturday afternoon wore on-North Carolina wasn't about to let Carl Torbush get unceremoniously shoved out the door.

UNC's 1-6 conference record coming into the game didn't matter. Its 0-4 record at home didn't matter. Starting its fourth-string quarterback didn't matter. The only thing that mattered to the Tar Heel players Saturday was completely dominating their opponent.

Because that's exactly what Torbush wanted.

After turning an evenly matched contest into a one-sided rout, North Carolina's players gave their much-maligned head coach quite a sendoff, carrying Torbush off the field at Kenan Stadium.

"He deserves it," center Ryan Carfley said. "He's done more for me; he's done more for my guys. He hung in there when it was rough. To go 11-1, that's easy, real easy. But to pull guys together, to win the last two, to put a defense out there that's pitched shutouts-it's important, it's huge.

"I don't think what's been going on is fair; I don't think anybody else thinks it's fair. He's going to be sorely missed if he goes, no doubt."

Throughout the week, sources within UNC's athletic department had leaked word to the press that Torbush would be fired at season's end with three years remaining on his contract.

Torbush, the epitome of the player's coach, attempted to deflect attention away from his impending departure during the week. Instead, he stressed to his players the magnitude of the rivalry and the program.

However, this may have been the one game where something became so important that it eclipsed the sanctity of the Duke-Carolina rivalry. It became a game where UNC wasn't just battling for pride in a century-old feud, it was fighting for its coach's dignity.

"It's such a tribute to him that he's talked nothing about [the rumors]," Schmitz said. "It's been completely about the players, telling us that he's not bigger than the rivalry, he's not bigger than the football game. That says exactly the type of person he is. It's amazing.

"The biggest point of the day is that's it's not right, it's not fair. For a school as classy as North Carolina to do something so classless like that-it's mindboggling and amazing to me why they would do that."

Having already etched Torbush's initials on his helmet prior to the game, Schmitz made one final poignant gesture toward Torbush after the game. The senior retrieved a "Keep Carl" sign from the stands and held it aloft as the Tar Heel players took turns ringing the Victory Bell earned by defeating Duke.

"That's by far the least I could do for what he's done for myself, those guys, this whole program," said Schmitz.

Schmitz certainly did his part on the field, averaging 54.3 yards on three punts and making the touchdown-saving tackle on a Scottie Montgomery punt return that Torbush later called the play of the game.

All action, emotion and campaigning aside, the Tar Heels win may have absolutely no bearing on Torbush's fate, since the decision has reportedly already been made.

"Mr. [Dick] Baddour [UNC's athletic director] won't listen to us," Carfley said. "If he wants, I know for a fact I could assemble 105 guys out there. We've all discussed it, we all want him back. It's more so the media and the boosters who were pushing him out. It hasn't been anything internal, I can promise you that.

"There hasn't been a player on this squad who's looking for him to go, no doubt."

Never did that fact become more obvious than after Saturday's game. From wide receiver Kory Bailey, to defensive end Julius Peppers, to kicker Josh McGee, everyone in North Carolina's locker room openly voiced their support for Torbush.

But it was what the players did on the field during the game, not after the game in the interview room, that drew the smiles from Torbush.

"You couldn't have asked for a more focused group of guys to give everything they had in the face of turmoil," Torbush said. "They know how I feel about them.... They're a special group that I feel very strong toward. I'm not embarrassed to say I love those guys, and I'd say 99 percent of them love me."

And from the looks of it Saturday, Torbush was certainly right.

Share and discuss “Am-'Bushed: North Carolina wins one for its head coach” on social media.