Chanticleer arrives on time, avoiding last year's setbacks

Unlike last year's yearbook, the 1999 Chanticleer will arrive on schedule: Students can pick up their free copies starting today in 012A Flowers Building from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The books will be available until Friday, Oct. 15.

The timely arrival of the 1999 Chanticleer contrasts with last year's book, which did not make it to campus until March. Because of problems adhering to deadlines, the 1998 yearbook arrived five months late, meaning members of the Class of 1998 received their books nearly 10 months after graduation.

The Chanticleer's 1999 editor, Sarah Hughes, said that recruiting an excited staff and keeping them active was critical to the yearbook's success. Hughes, Trinity '99, supervised the final stages of the yearbook's production from Williamsburg, Va., where she is a graduate student at the College of William and Mary.

"Everyone on the staff felt the pressure of the '98 book and worked hard not to let that happen again," she said.

Hughes' successors, Chanticleer co-editors Meg Hendrickson and Linette Lee, gave Hughes credit for avoiding the problems that plagued the 1998 yearbook. "[She] was very committed to following her timeline and meeting her deadlines," said Lee, a Pratt junior.

Chanticleer adviser Beverly Meek, assistant dean of university life, said the 1999 yearbook is "among the best."

"It's a beautiful publication," she said.

Duke students, Meek added, have come to expect an outstanding yearbook: "The legacy forces [the staff] to have a drive to be the best."

Trinity senior Nancy Tao agreed that Duke students' yearbook expectations run high. "The yearbook is one of the few material things we actually get to take from Duke, so I hope it looks good," she said.

Hendrickson, a Trinity senior, does not think students will be disappointed when they see this year's book. "I'm really excited," she said. "The book looks really good."

Share and discuss “Chanticleer arrives on time, avoiding last year's setbacks” on social media.