State transportation leaders adopt long-term road plan

In response to the continuing growth of North Carolina's population, Gov. Jim Hunt ordered drastic improvement and expansion of the state's transportation infrastructure to meet the needs of the 21st century.

After an unprecedented 45 public meetings with citizens, government officials and environmentalists, the state Department of Transportation adopted the $9.2 billion Transportation Improvement Program this summer.

Expansion and improvement projects will begin Oct. 1.

The seven-year program is designed "to identify and implement [transportation] projects," said Sanford Cross, NCDOT's public transportation director.

The plan will serve as the state's blueprint for 2,772 new and ongoing transportation projects.

It sets priorities for safety, the environment, bicycle and public transportation, highways, railways and aviation.

"The 2000-2006 TIP shows the department's commitment to the state's transportation needs that matter most," said Secretary of Transportation David McCoy. "This TIP keeps the state focused and continues the tradition of providing a diverse transportation system that is second to none."

Ninety-two million dollars from TIP will support and improve existing public transit programs, providing citizens with several alternate methods of transportation.

"The ultimate goal, " Cross said, "is to provide safe, efficient and effective means of public transportation across the state."

The money will be used for purchasing vans, paying ongoing operating expenses and maintaining the rural, small urban and regional transit systems.

More than 36 million passengers each year depend on these systems to go to work, to go shopping, and to access major urban areas.

"We learned that people care about the environment," McCoy said. "They care about safety. They want us to spend their tax dollars wisely, and they want more transportation choices."

The program also devotes $175 million to preserve natural resources. Part of the plan's agenda includes protecting wetlands, restoring streams and preserving wildlife habitats.

It also represents one of the largest safety initiatives in the state's history, including installation of guardrails, reflective markings and more truck weigh stations on interstate highways.

Bike paths and sidewalks will also be built to ensure safety for pedestrians and bikers.

Improvements for runways and aircraft facilities are planned to help boost North Carolina's aviation industry.

The initiative also guarantees extension of rail services throughout the state.

McCoy said the plan is financially sound and balanced. "For the first time, inflation and cost overruns are factored into this plan," McCoy said. "This makes the schedules for these projects realistic and does not set this board and department up for making promises we can't keep."

The program will be revised every two years; Cross emphasized that it was created to be a flexible document.

Share and discuss “State transportation leaders adopt long-term road plan” on social media.