Duhon says yes to Blue Devils

At a team meal Saturday afternoon in Mike Krzyzewski's home, high school star Chris Duhon became a Blue Devil.

Duhon told The Chronicle Saturday night that he gave Duke a verbal commitment on that afternoon and was canceling scheduled visits to four other schools. The 6-foot-2 guard from Slidell, La., was rumored to be choosing between Kentucky and Duke, but during this weekend's official visit to Durham, Duhon made his final decision.

"As soon as I walked onto campus, I felt the love," Duhon said. "It's a strong school and a place where I'll be happy.

"It's been great [this weekend]. I've had fun with the guys. I clicked with the guys as soon as I got here."

Duhon averaged 23.5 points, six rebounds and six assists per game last year while leading Salmen High School to the Louisiana District 5-5A Championship. Duhon is perhaps the top point guard prospect in the nation, and recruiting experts have praised Duhon's overall athleticism and outside shot. But after playing a few pick-up games with Duhon this weekend, Shane Battier was most impressed with the prep star's intelligence.

"He's a very smart basketball player," the junior forward said. "He knows how to play, which can't be said of a lot of people today. He has a sweet outside shot, so he'll definitely be an asset from outside.

"He's a great kid. We're very excited he'll be a part of the team next year."

Duke already has highly touted freshman point guard Jason Williams, but Krzyzewski heavily recruited Duhon anyway, hoping he and Williams can someday form an explosive backcourt.

Although Duhon says he is a lifelong Duke fan, some experts felt Williams' presence would limit the likelihood of Duhon committing to the Blue Devils. It was not enough to deter Duhon, however, who said he and Williams got along well this weekend.

"We played great together," Duhon said of the duo's play in weekend pick-up games. "We both shot well and we made a nice team."

Battier, who hosted Duhon this weekend, agreed that Williams and Duhon may have what it takes to form Duke's backcourt of the future.

"They played nice together," Battier said. "They threw some alley-oops to each other. They're both real explosive.

Along with Kentucky and Duke, Duhon was also considering Notre Dame, LSU and Texas. Although Duhon had said he would not make a decision before making visits to each of these schools, this weekend at Duke was enough to change his mind.

"[This visit's] gone great, I love it here," Duhon said. "The people are real nice, it's been great.

"I had four other visits planned, but I don't think I'm gonna be able to make them."

Duhon is the first player to commit to the Blue Devils this season. Duke is still recruiting several other prospects, the most notable being 6-9 forward Jared Jeffries.

Duhon announced his decision to his future teammates during a meal Saturday in Krzyzewski's home before joining several of them at the football game in the evening. Although Battier was excited about Duhon's announcement, he wasn't that surprised.

"Chris fit right in this weekend," Battier said. "You couldn't tell he was a recruit. As soon as he got here, you could tell he was a Blue Devil."

Share and discuss “Duhon says yes to Blue Devils” on social media.