Blue Devils football notebook

Grand Ol' Disaster:

Don't think the Blue Devils have forgotten the last time they played Vanderbilt.

This summer, Scottie Montgomery said that if he could change 10 minutes in his life, it would be those first 10 minutes of the Vanderbilt game.

After starting last season 4-4, Duke was just two wins from a winning season and a possible bowl berth. With games against "weaker" foes Vanderbilt and Maryland, the dream seemed to be a good possibility.

But midway through the third quarter in Duke's game with the 1-6 Commodores, the Blue Devils trailed 30-13. Duke rebounded and forced two overtimes, but Bobby Campbell's fumble in the second overtime sealed the deal.

Not Grant-ed PT:

Senior cornerback Lamar Grant, who was suspended indefinitely from game action on the first day of practice, will again not suit up for tomorrow's game. He is still practicing with the team daily.

Comeback Commodores:

Vanderbilt's last two wins have not been without drama.

Last week during its 37-34 win over Ole Miss, Vanderbilt trailed and rallied back three different times, including overcoming a 14-0 second-quarter deficit.

The week before, the Commodores made the largest comeback in school history, rallying from a 28-3 third-quarter deficit to defeat Northern Illinois.

The Series continues...:

The Duke/Vanderbilt series will continue the next two seasons on a home-and-home basis. Next year the two teams meet Sept. 23 in Nashville.

The Wealth of Quarterbacks:

High school quarterback Adam Smith, who verbally committed to Duke this summer, is off to a quick start in his senior season at Miramonte High School in Orinda, Calif.

The Blue Devils made an early scholarship offer to Smith before he started a single varsity game.

In his first two games, Smith has thrown for more than 450 yards and four touchdown passes. Miramonti is ranked No. 2 in its region and was 13-0 last year with Kenny Dorsey, who is now Miami's backup quarterback, behind the center.

According to the Herald-Sun of Durham, Miramonte coach Floyd Burnsed said that Northwestern called him earlier this week to ask about Smith. Burnsed said Smith's commitment to Duke is still firm.

• Compiled by Neal Morgan

Share and discuss “Blue Devils football notebook” on social media.