Uh-oh, Maggette goes: Freshman forward declares for NBA draft

On the one hand, Corey Maggette had the advice of his parents, his grandparents, one of college basketball's winningest coaches and the greatest hoops player of his era.

On the other hand, he had his dreams.

Against the counsel of coach Mike Krzyzewski, several family members and Michael Jordan himself, Maggette declared his intention to enter the upcoming NBA draft, barely beating the May 16 deadline.

There was no press conference or formal statement from Maggette, only a brief acknowledgment to the Chicago Tribune that the freshman, who started three games in his short Duke career, was headed for the pros.

"Playing in the NBA is what I've always wanted to do," Maggette told the Tribune. "All along I was thinking that I'd go back to Duke. I changed my mind at the last minute. I felt it was too great of an opportunity for me to pass up."

Krzyzewski, who is still at home recovering from hip-replacement surgery, was mum on Maggette's decision. The coach had staged a press conference to herald sophomore Elton Brand's jump to the NBA as a "great day for Duke basketball," and he issued a terse statement when another sophomore, William Avery made a surprise dash for the NBA.

Neither Krzyzewski nor the sports information office at Duke issued any words on Maggette's jump.

Maggette, reported to be headed to Durham to discuss his options with Krzyzewski before the deadline, cancelled his travel plans at the last minute and stayed in Chicago.

The six-foot-six reserve scored 10.6 points per game in 17.7 minutes, making him just the sixth freshman under Krzyzewski to average double figures. But what fans and NBA scouts noticed above all was his raw physical ability; Maggette's combination of brute strength and tremendous leaping ability make him a fascinating prospect for some NBA general managers, particularly in a draft that some are calling thin.

"It's a dream come true," Maggette said. "In a way it's hard to believe. There are so many guys trying to make the pros, and I'm part of that one percent who has a chance to make it."

A late-February column in a Chicago paper, suggesting that scouts think Maggette could go as high as the first pick in the draft, may have gotten the ball rolling for the Bellwood, Ill., native. In an increasingly young NBA, drafting inexperienced players like the 19-year-old Maggette has become the norm for many teams.

The Chicago Bulls, who will hold a lottery pick no lower than No. 6, have reportedly shown interest in Maggette, although Bulls general manager Jerry Krause has a history of avoiding local players, for fear of putting too much pressure on them.

Either way, Maggette figures to be a top-10 pick, perhaps even a top-5 choice.

Maggette's parents said they were against the move, but they weren't about to stop him.

"Even though we thought it was in his best interests to return to school, this was going to be his decision," Marguerite Maggette told the Tribune. "We will support him all the way because we believe in him. His dream came true sooner than anyone expected."

With Maggette's departure and sophomore Chris Burgess' plans to transfer, Krzyzewski is left with just three players from the regular rotation of last year's NCAA Finals team which finished 37-2.

There will be plenty of talent, with four McDonald's All-Americans among the six members of a strong incoming freshman class. But aside from rising senior Chris Carrawell and rising junior Shane Battier, there will be very little experience.

Duke Sports Information Director Mike Cragg said Krzyzewski will not comment on Maggette or Burgess until early June, when the coach's hip heals sufficiently and he returns to work.

Share and discuss “Uh-oh, Maggette goes: Freshman forward declares for NBA draft” on social media.