Novices lead rowing team in finale at Daughtry Challenge

A year ago, it might have looked like a disappointing conclusion to Aspen Branch-Moore's rowing career.

But as her varsity 8+ boat glided across the finish line for the final time, last in the pack of four boats, she didn't have much trouble remembering that four years ago, just competing was a dream in itself.

"This was definitely a sentimental race because as seniors it was our last," Branch-Moore said of Saturday's Daughtry Carolina Rowing Challenge. "It meant a lot to [the seniors] to see us go varsity and actually get a year of competing, to get to see the changes happen. It was just amazing."

The varsity 8+ race, the last of the day and the official end of seven seniors' careers, finished with No. 18 North Carolina's boat claiming the Daughtry Cup, awarded to the top finisher.

Clemson rowed in second and Tennessee finished third.

The start of the four-team race was postponed until noon and the site moved from Jordan Lake to University Lake as conditions were initially ruled unsafe for racing. With the move to the smaller venue, the races were split into two 1,000-meter pieces instead of the standard 2,000.

But the delays and change in format didn't cost the Blue Devil novices a step.

The Duke freshman rowers strung together their third straight strong performance, finishing second in the novice 8+ race, placing ahead of both North Carolina and Tennessee and finishing just behind Clemson.

With their second finish above North Carolina in two chances, the departing seniors feel confident the team has been left in good hands.

"After the first race the novices were so excited to beat UNC again," Branch-Moore said. "It's a good sign for us that the novices can beat UNC, who has a one-year advantage. [The novices] have really had a great season."

The Blue Devil novices then built on their momentum, finishing first in each piece of the 4+ race. Another set of four Duke freshmen again edged the rival Tar Heels by just a second and a half, by far the closest race in the meet.

"It was a really exciting race," Branch-Moore said. "I feel like the novice team has a lot of depth; it'll be good to have them move up along with recruits."

Although both varsity entrants, the 8+ boat and the 4+ boat, finished last, there was very little regret about their performance on Saturday or on the season.

"We didn't place that well, but we felt we rowed well," Branch-Moore said. "All together, it was a satisfying end to the season. We felt strong and powerful."

Share and discuss “Novices lead rowing team in finale at Daughtry Challenge” on social media.