Fresh Princes of Alpine

Chris Sullivan never expected that a phone call from his old college roommate would lead to "Pilgrim's Pride," the "Presidential Pardon" or the "Pole Vault," but a whimsical idea nonetheless led to the birth of Alpine Bagels, a Nashville-based chain that has had the University community buzzing since it arrived in August.

After graduating from Towson College with a communications major, Sullivan took a career detour when his friend suggested entering a business partnership. "I was going to be a newscaster, but I got sidetracked," he said.

And with Sullivan's charismatic ownership style, as well as Steve Doriocort and country song-writer James Ellis' gregarious management, the Alpine guys are getting as much attention as their eatery. "This is probably the coolest spot on campus," said Doriocort. "We're not just fulfilling a nutritional need."

Sullivan's experience with his first college-based eatery, just off the campus of Vanderbilt University, became so popular with students that Vanderbilt administrators asked him to move his restaurant on campus.

In fact, cheesy '80s tunes, chatty students and constant interaction between staff and customers are the eatery's regular features.

Students have experienced Alpine in more ways than just bagel-buying. In early March, for example, a surprise thirtieth birthday party for Sullivan found Alpine decorated with balloons and an enormous birthday cake. Students were offered cake as part of the celebration.

It is no wonder, then, that many people have come to know "the Alpine guys" and the staff, even when the very long lunch line blocks traffic flow between the Cambridge Inn and the Great Hall.

The social connection between students and employers seems to be particularly strong-one simply needs to go to the Hideaway to notice. "I've been seen in the Hideaway once or twice I think," Sullivan says with a smile.

Trinity senior Bianca Motley occasionally hangs out with the trio when she runs into them. "I've had beers with them at the Hideaway," she said. "I could consider all three of them friends."

However, Ellis said, they are sure to maintain distance from student life. "I haven't been to any big parties, but I have to work too much to be out partying all night," he joked.

Since Alpine's debut, students have flocked to the establishment as a social outlet and a bagel place. "It's definitely a social place," said engineering sophomore Matt Boyer. "It's at a central location where everyone can meet outside and get something quick to eat."

Trinity junior Holly Cooper decided to move behind the counter part-time after recognizing that Alpine had something over other campus restaurants.

"It was more than just, 'What do you want, and then move down the line,'" she said, pointing out that the day after the men's basketball NCAA championship final against UConn, a full-time employee came and sat down with Cooper, who was not working at the time, to cheer her up and sympathize about the outcome of the game.

Assistant Manager Annette Alston said interaction is one of the best parts of her job. "I think it's a really nice place to work," she said. "Students are really friendly."

And those Alpine guys are the first to agree with students' consensus about their eatery. With finality, Ellis said, "I hear people say, 'I'll meet you at Alpine.' I don't know other places that have that."

Share and discuss “Fresh Princes of Alpine” on social media.