DSG survey suffers from low participation

Duke Student Government recently completed a 20-question phone survey documenting student opinion on several campus issues. The survey was intended as a broad gauge of student sentiment, but legislators only compiled one-fifth of the desired responses.

DSG Vice President for Student Affairs and survey coordinator Sean Murphy said several legislators-who were supposed to administer the survey-did not file their results. "Some of them did, some of them didn't," said the Trinity junior. "It probably just slipped through the cracks during [winter] break, and I don't blame anyone for that. It was just the timing."

Each legislator was supposed to give the survey to about 10 students each for a total of 500 responses. However, the survey results include only 50 men and 50 women.

Although the number of responses was lower than what DSG had hoped for, Murphy said the survey was still representative of the student body. "I think 100 [responses] already gives a good idea of where the University is at," he said. "It's unfortunate that it just didn't work out the way we'd planned, [but] any time you find out what people think it's going to be helpful."

The survey indicates that students do not support the University's decision to house all sophomores on West Campus-the majority believe sophomores should have a choice where they live.

Taco Bell and Wendy's received the most votes for the Bryan Center fast food space.

In addition, 64 percent of students favored light housekeeping on the weekends in the residence halls in exchange for one fewer day during the work week.

Seventy percent of students disapproved of the voicemail system automatically included in the campus phone service.

The students surveyed made several suggestions regarding the Duke University Police Department. Students agreed that positive aspects of Campus Police included patrolling, stopping drunk driving and offering rides home. Suggested improvements for Campus Police included more patrolling of parking lots, buildings and East and Central Campuses.

DSG hopes to use the results to determine future policies and procedures, Murphy said. The results of the survey will be sent to leaders of various student groups, and any interested student can pick up a copy at the DSG office.

The survey was conducted over the telephone in hopes for more direct and personal responses from students. "It made things more personal," Murphy said. "Actually being proactive as a legislator helps in understanding what people want."

Murphy said the ramifications of the survey should last longer than his term of office.

"We will let the next year's new legislators work on it," he said. "but hopefully I will be able to work on it for the remainder of my [term of] office as well as next year."

Murphy said he plans to trade survey results with the Campus Social Board, which conducted a social space survey earlier this year.

Katherine Stroup contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “DSG survey suffers from low participation” on social media.