Domzalski picked in 1st round of USBL draft by N. J. Shorecats

Taymon Domzalski may have gone unused for the last month of his college career, but he hasn't gone unnoticed.

The New Jersey Shorecats of the United States Basketball League made Domzalski the eighth pick overall in the league's annual draft Wednesday. Six other ACC players were drafted, including Clemson center Tom Wideman, who went seventh.

Although he played sparingly during Duke's NCAA tournament run, Domzalski impressed scouts last weekend at the Portsmith Invitational Tournament, a pre-draft camp for college seniors. The muscular, 6-foot-10 center averaged double figures in points and rebounds, helping his team to a third-place finish.

Other players who shined at this year's PIT included St. John's center Tyrone Grant and Arkansas' Kareem Reid. Dream Team members Scottie Pippen, Tim Hardaway and John Stockton all used the PIT as a springboard to the NBA.

The news came unexpectedly to Domzalski, who didn't even know he had been drafted until the phone began ringing with calls from agents. Domzalski, the 1998 PaineWebber National Scholar-Athlete of the Year, plans to put off graduate school to play professionally, either in the United States or abroad.

The USBL is a summer league, slightly below the Continental Basketball Association as minor leagues of the NBA. The other ACC players selected Wednesday were: LaRon Profit and Obinna Ekezie of Maryland, Tony Christie and Harold Jamison of Clemson and Terrell Baker of Florida State.

Share and discuss “Domzalski picked in 1st round of USBL draft by N. J. Shorecats” on social media.