Blue Devils weather tough conditions, take 2nd

You wouldn't expect wintery conditions to be a problem in Tempe, Ariz., especially on the first weekend in April.

But with snow just an hour away, winds at 30-40 mph and the wind chill near freezing, scores were soaring at the Ping/ASU Invitational for women's golf this weekend in Arizona. Only seventh-ranked Arizona State survived the conditions, shooting a 20-over par 884 on its home course to win the Invitational by 20 strokes over No. 2 Duke. Top-ranked Arizona shot a 915 and slumped to third place.

"I think it's probably the worst conditions I've ever played for a tournament," freshman Beth Bauer said. "I've played in strong winds before and I've played in the cold, but never the two together like it was."

The Blue Devils improved each day, finishing Saturday's final round with a nine-over par 297, well-above the 280s they hope to shoot by the NCAA Championships next month.

But considering the fact every team struggled with the course, except the host Sun Devils, Duke wasn't too concerned with its scores.

"Obviously we wanted to win, but I think it's all a process," freshman Candy Hannemann said. "I think everyone's game is coming along well. The results weren't as good, but the progress in our games is good."

Bauer's progress was the best. She opened with a tournament-best, even-par 72 and finished in a tie for third place, four strokes behind ASU's Grace Park.

"I played consistent," she said. "I wasn't as good coming down the stretch."

Jenny Chuasiriporn stayed in the mid-70s and closed in a fifth-place tie, while Hannemann improved with each round and an even-par final round moved her into a tie for 13th. Filippa Hansson finished in 15th, as 11 of the top-20 individual golfers were from either Duke, Arizona or Arizona State.

"It's good competing against them now," said Hannemann of the elite competition. "We know what we have to expect and what we have to face in Nationals. Obviously we want to win. We get better every time."

This was Duke's last tournament of the "regular season." The Blue Devils will head to Greensboro in two weeks for the ACC Championships, and May brings first the NCAA East Regional and then the NCAA Championships, May 19-22 in Tulsa, Okla.

For such a talented Blue Devils squad, their attention can slowly start turning now to the ultimate prize.

"We're just going to start gearing up for Nationals," Bauer said. "Not just working on our swing but working on the mental part of the game."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils weather tough conditions, take 2nd” on social media.