Another year at the office: Duke closes out ACC play 8-0

The streak was already well-established before they came, and it's likely the streak will continue long after they're gone.

But seniors Vanessa Webb, Kristin Sanderson and Karen Goldstein sure made the last four years easy.

The three played a part in a pair of 8-1 wins over the weekend as No. 3 Duke (19-3, 8-0 in the ACC) closed out its 10th-straight undefeated ACC regular season. By beating Virginia Saturday and Maryland yesterday, the Blue Devils extended their conference winning streak to 110 and allowed the three seniors to celebrate Senior Day at Duke Tennis Stadium in style.

"I think it means a lot just going out and continuing to carry on the tradition and represent everyone who's played here before," Sanderson said. "It's great being a part of the tradition."

Duke dominated both overmatched conference foes, dropping a singles match to Virginia and doubles match against the Terrapins. Every other singles match over the weekend was won in straight sets, highlighted by Megan Miller's 6-0, 6-0 win over the Cavs' Leslie Cook at No. 3 singles.

Doubles was much the same story against Virginia, with Miller teaming up with Kathy Sell at No. 3 to secure an 8-0 win.

Yesterday was for the seniors. Webb and Sanderson have both played on the same courts for four years, while Goldstein transferred two years ago from Arizona.

Together, they form the first trio in Duke history on the same team to win 100 singles matches each during their careers. Webb's win yesterday was her 150th and improved her dual record for 1999 to 22-0.

Goldstein actually lost the first three games of her singles match against Maryland's Chrissie Terrill only to rally to an easy 6-4, 6-1 win.

"It was really special to play here," Goldstein said. "It started off slow, but I'm glad we all came back and played well today."

In Duke's last nine wins, the team has won 75 of the 81 matches played. Thus the Blue Devils are used to winning easy, though at the same time they are used to having to work on improving their own game instead of worrying as much about the opponent.

"Barring total collapse, I know I'm not going to lose," Webb said. "You have to go out and work on things and not lose your focus. It's hard to play your best tennis."

Of course after four years, Webb is focused more on contending for a national championship. Playing the final home match is nice, but not as important as what is to come in the future.

"It's sad, but I've done my four years," she said. "I think after four years of playing, you're ready to move on. But it is sad that this is the last time we'll play at Duke."

Share and discuss “Another year at the office: Duke closes out ACC play 8-0” on social media.