Goestenkors earns 2nd straight Coach of Year award

Leading practice, preparing for games, coaching an elite team and winning ACC coach of the year-it has all become routine for women's basketball coach Gail Goestenkors.

The Associated Press named Goestenkors ACC Coach of the Year yesterday for the second straight year and the third time in the last four seasons.

Goestenkors led the Blue Devils to a 24-6 record this season, highlighted by a school-record 15 ACC wins and the team's second-straight regular-season ACC title.

"The honor should go to my assistants, Gale Valley, Joanne Boyle and Shonta Tabourn," Goestenkors said. "They do all the behind-the-scenes work and don't get any credit for it. And it goes to the players."

Although her team returned every player in the playing rotation from the Elite Eight squad of last season, Goestenkors still proved instrumental in guiding the Blue Devils through their share of adversity.

Playing the toughest schedule in the school's history, Duke staggered to a 2-3 start after a 20-point road loss to Notre Dame. But behind the leadership of Goestenkors, her assistants and the six seniors on the roster, the Blue Devils steadily improved as the season progressed, losing only twice after Dec. 6.

"It's been [my] best year [as a coach] because the players have been tremendous," Goestenkors said. "They've been very easy to coach, very easy to motivate and very willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.

"When you surround yourself with good people, good things happen."

The Blue Devils will make their fifth consecutive trip to the NCAA tournament in two weeks. Prior to Goestenkors' arrival, Duke made it to the post-season twice in school history.

But even with a first team All-ACC player, two second-team All-ACC members and the ACC coach of the year awards in the bag, the Blue Devils hope their most meaningful trophies of the season still lie ahead.

"[The award] is really not that important," Goestenkors said. "With our program, individual honors aren't important at all. That's why we've been successful, because we place more importance on the team."

Goestenkors received 39 of 56 votes from member of the ACC Writers Association. Clemson coach Jim Davis, who guided the 4th-seeded Tigers to the ACC tournament title Monday night, was the only other coach to receive votes.

Share and discuss “Goestenkors earns 2nd straight Coach of Year award” on social media.