Wrestling avenges loss, rips Bulldogs

If the wrestling team learned one lesson Friday night, it was that revenge can be sweet.

Last year the Blue Devils (6-9) took on Gardner-Webb and lost, 28-20. Last weekend Deuce Harris took on Maryland's Jake Stork and was pinned in four seconds, causing the one-point loss that could have meant Duke's first ACC win since 1997. This weekend the Blue Devils avenged both of these losses by devastating the Bulldogs 36-12 in the last home meet of the season in Cameron.

Fresh off the upset, Harris defeated Gardner-Webb's Andrew Caldwell in 40 seconds, pinning him after two takedowns. His win capped off three consecutive pins by the Blue Devils, who seemed determined to win their last home meet of the season quickly.

"After the frustrating loss to Maryland, [Duke's wrestlers] knew we were a better team than what was showing on the scoreboard," coach Clar Anderson said.

The closest Gardner-Webb came to Duke was one point after senior Jay Klug was pinned by Bulldog Jason Smith in the third match of the evening. But then freshman Daegan Smith cut down Jason Barber with a pin at 3:59 in the 197-pound weight class to solidify the lead.

After the convincing win, the Blue Devils never looked back, with Alex Hunt winning by forfeit and Brijal Padia recording his most exciting match to date.

The 125-lb. sophomore executed his first takedown of the season and escaped being pinned for only the second time in seven matches.

"The whole team was behind Brijal," Anderson said. "We thought he had it after that takedown. It's inexperience that has hurt him greatly."

Matt Mapes performed as he has all season, with the tenacity that has defeated eight out of 11 opponents and that made him the 167-lb. conference champion last season. He anchored the Blue Devils' effort with his 14-6 blowout of Bulldog Brian Blow.

Other winners for the Blue Devils were freshmen Tom Cass and Jason Gorski and junior Bill West. Gorski plowed Gardner-Webb's Justin Farmer into the mat for a pin at 4:40, and West recorded a technical fall by scoring 17 points to Farmer's single one-point escape.

The Blue Devils look forward to their final ACC matchup this season against N.C. State, hoping to avoid the bite of the Wolfpack and win their first ACC meet in two years.

"We match up pretty well," Anderson said. "It will come down to three or so matches in the end. It could be a great win for us.... If we lose, it could be tough."

Duke will face the Wolfpack in Reynolds Coliseum tomorrow night at 7 p.m. for another chance at revenge.

Share and discuss “Wrestling avenges loss, rips Bulldogs” on social media.