Presidential platforms

The Chronicle asked the candidates for Duke Student Government president the following question:

Now that Curriculum 2000 is a reality, what areas of the undergraduate academic experience still need improvement, and how should the University address these?

Christopher Brandt: "Many Duke students are not afforded the opportunity to grow in ways other than in the classroom because there is such an enormous focus on the difference between a B+ and an A-," he said. "The grading scale is a tradition and almost an institution that is not to be rivaled or challenged, but I suggest that some of the students' focus be diverted to other important facets of life." Brandt proposed a more flexible Pass/Fail policy..

Daveen Chopra: Stressing experience outside of the classroom, Chopra said, "The undergraduate academic experience should include more community and service-oriented classes." He also believes that the University's emphasis on research should afford undergraduates more independent study opportunities.

John Grant: The University should focus on encouraging more interaction between faculty and students, Grant said. "I know of faculty who invite students to their home for dinner," he said. He said he believes these relationships allow for academic growth outside of the classroom, and that the University must encourage them.

Ben Kennedy: Kennedy said that intellectualism, advising and adequate course offerings should be prioritized. "A new advising system will undoubtedly accompany the implementation of Curriculum 2000 and student input should be actively sought in that process." He added that DSG help ensure that understaffed departments can meet the curriculum's demands.

Amir Rashid-Farokhi: Rashid-Farokhi calls for a stronger commitment to teaching and smaller classes. An "intensive recruitment of more quality faculty members" is necessary to build a stronger academic program, he said, adding that there should be greater incentives for faculty to concentrating on teaching instead of research.

Lisa Zeidner: "Curriculum 2000 may be a reality but I think we need to continue to address the effects it will have," Zeidner said. "DSG can analyze how this will affect undergraduate students, assist departments in changing individual curriculums and help students understand the changes."

Share and discuss “Presidential platforms” on social media.