Group makes recommendations for strengthening drug-testing programs

A task force sponsored by the law school's Center for Sports Law and Policy recently issued a report citing an urgent need for true independence in sports drug-testing programs.

Composed of several professionals-including physicians, lawyers, scientists and leaders of sports organizations-the group met Jan. 16 to outline fair and ethical standards for drug testing.

The task force hopes to create a program which asserts that using performance-enhancing drugs is not only cheating but also threatening to the fundamental nature of competitive sports.

"This is a critical issue which the community has been fairly closed to," said law professor Paul Haagen, co-director for the Center for Sports Law and Policy.

The task force emphasized that in order for an effectively implemented drug-testing program to work, it needs to be clear and based on peer-reviewed research and uniform standards for the appointment and review of independent laboratories.

"Policies that are scientifically based and peer-reviewed will put into place a period of procedures that will protect the athlete and are adequate in dealing with this pervasive problem," Haagen said.

The report states that most programs have been hindered by inadequate funding and inherent conflicts of interest.

For anti-doping programs to succeed, the decision-making authority must be comprised of athletes, sponsors and constituent organizations that govern the sport, the task force found.

"The problem of drugs in sports must be addressed by people involved [in sports] but who are also independent," said law school senior lecturing fellow Doriane Coleman, who initiated the task force. Coleman is a former world-class runner.

The task force found that governing organizations will not be able to focus on the positive aspects of their sports development until they instate independent, external anti-doping programs.

Task force members said the report is not the solution to the issue of drug testing.

"We were in no way attempting to develop a comprehensive [anti-doping] policy," said Coleman. "We were attempting an overview of principles that needed to be addressed."

"This is only a beginning," Haagen added. "This problem must be dealt with so that athletes will not have to fear that they have to use doping substances in competition."

The task force hopes that the conclusions they made will be considered at the Anti-Doping Summit in Lausanne, Switzerland, hosted by the International Olympic Committee early this month.

The task force will hold a two-day conference in May to discuss specific proposals for an independent anti-doping effort consistent with their report.

Share and discuss “Group makes recommendations for strengthening drug-testing programs” on social media.