Dancing days are here again

"And quick, quick and slow...."

There is a methodical rhythm to coach Missy Daffron's instructions, which rise above the constant shuffling of patent leather shoes and high heels. On Friday evenings, a bare aerobics room in the Brodie Recreation Center is transformed into a dance studio for the Formation Dance Team. Inside, a group of students practices "grapevining" and "twinkling to promenade positions" for a chance at fame on the competitive collegiate circuit.

What began last year as Trinity sophomore Keely Heuer's passion for ballroom dancing has now evolved into a University club that placed first at a national competition last semester and has even been featured on the Fox television network.

During a high school year abroad in Germany, Heuer became immersed in a world in which ballroom dancing was a popular aspect of teenage culture.

When she arrived at the University, Heuer decided to develop her interest further. "I began to realize that there was an incredible talent at Duke," Heuer said.

With a few phone calls and a visit to the sports club office, the Formation Dance Team emerged with the help of Daffron, who teaches social dance.

The owner of four Fred Astaire dance studios around the state, Daffron believes that the team-split into "smooth" and "rhythm" groups-has become a creative force. Whether they are dancing the waltz and fox trot or swing and rumba, she said, "I let them do a lot on their own because it's a great team."

But the team does not consist of seasoned pros. In fact, most of its about 25 dancers auditioned with no competitive experience. "I've always enjoyed dancing but more along the lines of funk, jazz and hip hop," said Trinity junior Amy Chen. "I had never tried partner dancing until now."

Each team is distinctly different-the smooth team requires more elegance and flow, whereas the rhythm team is good-naturedly described by Daffron as "flash and trash." But all dancers believe the energy and spirit bond the entire team together. "I love the people on the team," said engineering freshman Frank Caruso. "In fact, I've spent hours on end getting to know several of them."

Last November, the team took first place for both smooth and rhythm choreographed routines in its first major competition, the Ohio Star Ball, beating out 22 other collegiate teams; the team also had several stand-outs in individual competition, which included over 100 couples in various heats.

As the only team member to have competed before coming to college, Heuer said she noticed the electricity that ran through team members during the competition. "Everyone had this dazzled look in their eyes," she said. "I felt like a mother hen with her chicks."

For many contestants, stepping onto the dance floor provided thrill enough. "It was really exciting to be able to be on the dance floor with such high-caliber athletes," said Trinity senior Heather Sapp.

All the same, the competition was not without its mishaps. "I competed in tango/waltz, but a girl in a different couple inadvertently stepped on my foot and I ended up limping through the rest of my tango. I insisted on dancing though. That's what I was there to do," Sapp said.

After this first taste of the dazzle of costumes and the glamour of competition, the team is gearing up for its next competition, to be held this April in New York. Heuer said her goal for the next two years is getting the team skilled enough to compete at the World Championships in England.

Share and discuss “Dancing days are here again” on social media.