Safe Haven satellite opens for Bid Week

Originally intending to open their trial-run East Campus satellite in February, Safe Haven organizers have decided to open immediately, anticipating safety problems during the party-filled Sorority Bid Week.

The East Campus Wellness Clinic branch will offer 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. service starting today through Jan. 30. Safe Haven will continue to offer its traditional Friday and Saturday hours on West Campus.

The drop-in service is designed for women seeking free phone services, a safe place to wait for the bus or alcohol and sexual assault-related counseling. It is staffed by trained student volunteers.

"[The East Campus satellite] will be more convenient, since [students] won't have to wait for the bus to travel to West," said program director and Trinity senior Marcee Harris.

In order to spread awareness of Safe Haven, Harris distributed wallet cards to all Panhellenic sororities last week. Harris said volunteers are also notifying East Campus Resident Advisors. "If [female students] are having problems, we want them to know we are there," Harris said.

Sexual Assault Support Services Coordinator Stephanie Wilenchek added, "I'm just hoping that students know that there are resources like this, and that we are trying to reach out to freshmen."

Last semester, Safe Haven saw more than 45 women, which is more than all of the previous year, Wilenchek said.

As in previous years, the Panhellenic Council is making every attempt to keep Bid Week as safe as possible. Panhel President Hillary Holmes, Trinity '98, said sororities will designate upperclass students to watch over younger rushees.

Share and discuss “Safe Haven satellite opens for Bid Week” on social media.